Keep Shufflin' Trio (was: Waller)

  • spacelights
    Message 1 of 56 , Nov 2, 2005
      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "spacelights" <spacelights@y...> wrote:

      > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Howard Rye <howard@c...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Most listeners think he was also one of The Keep Shufflin' Trio on James
      P.
      > > Johnson's You Don't Understand/You've Got To Be Modernistic (18
      > November
      > > 1929, Victor V38099), but we'll never know for sure.
      >
      > Who knows, indeed, but that's one (aural) identification I don't understand(!)...
      > The vocals are quite clear, and sound not a bit like Fats to me, not even
      close.

      I've been listening closely to these sides on headphones: the lower register
      sounds distinctly like Andy Razaf (compared to "Nobody Knows (How Much I
      Love You)" by Johnny Thompson [pseudonym], 17 January 1928). The middle
      register vocal is non-descript and faint, inaudible on the first side except for the
      final refrain. The upper register may well be Clarence Todd (good examples of
      his upper register harmonizing appear on "Papa De-Da-Da" and "Baby Won't
      You Please Come Home" by Clarence Williams and His Orchestra, 31 October
      1930). Both Razaf and Todd worked on the show 'Keep Shufflin' (as did
      Waller)--circumstantial evidence, but aurally I'd certainly favor them over Fats.
    • spacelights
      Message 56 of 56 , Nov 4, 2005
        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Howard Rye <howard@c...> wrote:

        > >> --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Howard Rye <howard@c...>

        James
        > > P.
        > >> November
        >
        > Why two pianists anyway?

        It seems to have been a stunt they (Johnson and Waller) enjoyed--they used
        the same approach the previous year on another Johnson date (18 June 1928),
        and also with Dunn's Original Jazz Hounds (26 March 1928)!

        Cheers,

        John