Re: Ramblers recordings at redhotjazz?

  • hvandervink
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2005
      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Howard Rye <howard@c...> wrote:

      > on 2/11/05 1:33, jazzguy1927 at jazzguy1927@y... wrote:
      >
      > > I would like to know if there are any recordings by the Dutch band,The
      > > Ramblers Dance Orchestra,who recorded from 1929 to 1939,at the
      > > redhotjazz archives site.I did a search there on Ramblers,Original
      > > Ramblers and can't seem to find any recordings by this band
      there.Maybe
      > > i did my search incorrectly.Can someone else search there and
      verify if
      > > there are any recordings by this band at the site.
      > > There were 6 lp's devoted to the band on the Panachord label but they
      > > are long out of print.Did Panachord ever release any cd's with
      Ramblers
      > > recordings?
      > > The Panachord lp's start with their recordings from 1932 on (Panachord
      > > H 2003)Their first recordings from 1929 are on the Imperial lp
      > > label.Has anyone seen or have this Imperial lp #5 C052.24332?
      > >

      > It's not very helpful but Panachord certainly transferred some of
      their LPs
      > to CD. For example DN2050, "Swing & Sweet In The Netherlands, Deel 1 De
      > Jaren '30'" has several tracks by The Ramblers. Evidently a Volume 2 was
      > intended.
      >
      > Again it's not very helpful but I think the Imperial is a Dutch EMI
      issue,
      > in which case it's likely to have been issued on Friday and deleted on
      > Monday when the accountants noticed it!

      > howard@c...
      > Tel/FAX: +44 20 8521 1098

      Hi. There are several recordings still available from the Dutch Jazz
      Archives : Four LPs, H2004, H2006, H2007 and H2013 (Alabama Swing,
      Rambling Around, Swing Mr. Charlie, Zuiderzee Blues, respectively),
      and one CD, NJA9901 (Theo Uden Masman). The CD has the nine cuts from
      the band's recording session in 1929. Try www.jazzarchief.nl for more
      information, although most of it is in Dutch.
      Mercury Records B.V. issued a CD (538 374-2), containing some of the
      recordings made in the 50s, and Dureco has two CDs,1153872 (Hilversum
      Express),and 1158042 (Farewell Blues).
      I hope that this information helps.
      Cheers, Hans
    • rimless46
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2005
        Hello Jazzguy,
        Try The Original Ramblers (same band in earlier phase:
        one title: High Tension 1929
        Vic
      • hvandervink
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "rimless46" <rimless46@y...> wrote:

          > Hello Jazzguy,
          > Try The Original Ramblers (same band in earlier phase:
          > one title: High Tension 1929
          > Vic

          Thanks Vic, yes this is one (out of four) of the recordings they did
          in London for HMV on 23 October 1929; they also recorded five titles
          for the German Odeon label that year. Interesting band: the drummer on
          the above sessions (Kees Kranenburg) was still going strong in 1972. I
          saw them in Toronto in the early eighties. I have an LP, recorded
          sometime in 1972 (Decca 6343 606), consisting almost entirely of
          musicians who joined the band in the mid thirties. Their work with
          Coleman Hawkins is available on GNP-9003(Crescendo Records), and I
          know that there are some titles with the Boswell Sisters. Hey, what
          about the Boswells: weren't they pretty hot in the late twenties?

          Cheers.

          Hans P. van der Vink