Re: [RedHotJazz] Ramblers recordings at redhotjazz?

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2005
      on 2/11/05 1:33, jazzguy1927 at jazzguy1927@... wrote:

      > I would like to know if there are any recordings by the Dutch band,The
      > Ramblers Dance Orchestra,who recorded from 1929 to 1939,at the
      > redhotjazz archives site.I did a search there on Ramblers,Original
      > Ramblers and can't seem to find any recordings by this band there.Maybe
      > i did my search incorrectly.Can someone else search there and verify if
      > there are any recordings by this band at the site.
      > There were 6 lp's devoted to the band on the Panachord label but they
      > are long out of print.Did Panachord ever release any cd's with Ramblers
      > recordings?
      > The Panachord lp's start with their recordings from 1932 on (Panachord
      > H 2003)Their first recordings from 1929 are on the Imperial lp
      > label.Has anyone seen or have this Imperial lp #5 C052.24332?

      It's not very helpful but Panachord certainly transferred some of their LPs
      to CD. For example DN2050, "Swing & Sweet In The Netherlands, Deel 1 De
      Jaren '30'" has several tracks by The Ramblers. Evidently a Volume 2 was
      intended.

      Again it's not very helpful but I think the Imperial is a Dutch EMI issue,
      in which case it's likely to have been issued on Friday and deleted on
      Monday when the accountants noticed it!

    • hvandervink
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2005
        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Howard Rye <howard@c...> wrote:

        > on 2/11/05 1:33, jazzguy1927 at jazzguy1927@y... wrote:
        >
        > > I would like to know if there are any recordings by the Dutch band,The
        > > Ramblers Dance Orchestra,who recorded from 1929 to 1939,at the
        > > redhotjazz archives site.I did a search there on Ramblers,Original
        > > Ramblers and can't seem to find any recordings by this band
        there.Maybe
        > > i did my search incorrectly.Can someone else search there and
        verify if
        > > there are any recordings by this band at the site.
        > > There were 6 lp's devoted to the band on the Panachord label but they
        > > are long out of print.Did Panachord ever release any cd's with
        Ramblers
        > > recordings?
        > > The Panachord lp's start with their recordings from 1932 on (Panachord
        > > H 2003)Their first recordings from 1929 are on the Imperial lp
        > > label.Has anyone seen or have this Imperial lp #5 C052.24332?
        > >

        > It's not very helpful but Panachord certainly transferred some of
        their LPs
        > to CD. For example DN2050, "Swing & Sweet In The Netherlands, Deel 1 De
        > Jaren '30'" has several tracks by The Ramblers. Evidently a Volume 2 was
        > intended.
        >
        > Again it's not very helpful but I think the Imperial is a Dutch EMI
        issue,
        > in which case it's likely to have been issued on Friday and deleted on
        > Monday when the accountants noticed it!

        > howard@c...
        > Tel/FAX: +44 20 8521 1098

        Hi. There are several recordings still available from the Dutch Jazz
        Archives : Four LPs, H2004, H2006, H2007 and H2013 (Alabama Swing,
        Rambling Around, Swing Mr. Charlie, Zuiderzee Blues, respectively),
        and one CD, NJA9901 (Theo Uden Masman). The CD has the nine cuts from
        the band's recording session in 1929. Try www.jazzarchief.nl for more
        information, although most of it is in Dutch.
        Mercury Records B.V. issued a CD (538 374-2), containing some of the
        recordings made in the 50s, and Dureco has two CDs,1153872 (Hilversum
        Express),and 1158042 (Farewell Blues).
        I hope that this information helps.
        Cheers, Hans
      • rimless46
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2005
          Hello Jazzguy,
          Try The Original Ramblers (same band in earlier phase:
          one title: High Tension 1929
          Vic
        • hvandervink
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "rimless46" <rimless46@y...> wrote:

            > Hello Jazzguy,
            > Try The Original Ramblers (same band in earlier phase:
            > one title: High Tension 1929
            > Vic

            Thanks Vic, yes this is one (out of four) of the recordings they did
            in London for HMV on 23 October 1929; they also recorded five titles
            for the German Odeon label that year. Interesting band: the drummer on
            the above sessions (Kees Kranenburg) was still going strong in 1972. I
            saw them in Toronto in the early eighties. I have an LP, recorded
            sometime in 1972 (Decca 6343 606), consisting almost entirely of
            musicians who joined the band in the mid thirties. Their work with
            Coleman Hawkins is available on GNP-9003(Crescendo Records), and I
            know that there are some titles with the Boswell Sisters. Hey, what
            about the Boswells: weren't they pretty hot in the late twenties?

            Cheers.

            Hans P. van der Vink