Re: [RedHotJazz] Disco(graphy)'s Not Dead

  • Robert Smith
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
      Hello Jeff,

      I'm a bit hesitant to tell you what I have on these two recordings, because I have them on an English Philips 78, which seems a bit strange when the recording date is given as 1955. Also there were a lot of recordings of both tunes. Anyway, here's what I have:

      LOUIS ARMSTRONG AND HIS ALL STARS
      Louis Armstrong (tpt, vcl); Trummy Young (tbn); Edmond Hall (clt); Billy Kyle (p); Arvell Shaw (bs); Barrett Deems (d)
      New York City September 28 1955
      AA 217751H1 A Theme From The Threepenny Opera (Mack The Knife) PhiE PB574
      AA217752H1 Back O'Town Blues PhiE PB574

      Kind Regards

      Bob Smith

    • Jeffrey Jastram
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
        Your hesitancy is well founded. When I put out this question I had
        forgotten about the Louis Armstrong website given to me by one of our
        members.

        The result >>> While your date, location and personnel were spot-on, the
        original issue was indeed on the Columbia record I gave.

        Thanks, Jeff.
        I'm a bit hesitant to tell you what I have on these two recordings,
        because I have them on an English Philips 78, which seems a bit strange
        when the recording date is given as 1955. Also there were a lot of
        recordings of both tunes. Anyway, here's what I have:

        LOUIS ARMSTRONG AND HIS ALL STARS
        Louis Armstrong (tpt, vcl); Trummy Young (tbn); Edmond Hall (clt); Billy
        Kyle (p); Arvell Shaw (bs); Barrett Deems (d)
        New York City September 28 1955
        AA 217751H1 A Theme From The Threepenny Opera (Mack The Knife) PhiE PB574
        AA217752H1 Back O'Town Blues PhiE PB574

        Kind Regards

        Bob Smith

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • Leif R. Blom
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
          Hello Jeff and Bob,
          I remember I got this 78-recording on my 15th birthday. Perhaps it was a Philips, I only remember a blue label. I don´t have it any longer. I didn´t like it. I and some fellows had seen the All Stars playing in Stockholm 1955. But I didn´t like that either. It was too much an entertainment to me, so I didn´t go when they came back 1959.
          Which war are we "pre" now ?
          Yarel 41

          Robert Smith <robert.smith@...> wrote:
          Hello Jeff,

          I'm a bit hesitant to tell you what I have on these two recordings, because I have them on an English Philips 78, which seems a bit strange when the recording date is given as 1955. Also there were a lot of recordings of both tunes. Anyway, here's what I have:

          LOUIS ARMSTRONG AND HIS ALL STARS
          Louis Armstrong (tpt, vcl); Trummy Young (tbn); Edmond Hall (clt); Billy Kyle (p); Arvell Shaw (bs); Barrett Deems (d)
          New York City September 28 1955
          AA 217751H1 A Theme From The Threepenny Opera (Mack The Knife) PhiE PB574
          AA217752H1 Back O'Town Blues PhiE PB574

          Kind Regards

          Bob Smith

          Genres of music Jazz music Music genres

        • Jeffrey Jastram
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2005
            Leif:

            Look, I'm sorry. If I'd reflected for 5 seconds I would have realized the
            this recording was post-1935 or whatever. Other tunes in my collection are
            not so clearly within a time frame and so I must ask.

            Let me assure you there was no intention of dragging the group into
            anything modern.

            Subserviently yours,

            Jeff (The Shame-faced One)

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2005
              on 2/11/05 15:49, Jeffrey Jastram at mister_j@... wrote:

              > Look, I'm sorry. If I'd reflected for 5 seconds I would have realized the
              > this recording was post-1935 or whatever. Other tunes in my collection are
              > not so clearly within a time frame and so I must ask.
              >
              > Let me assure you there was no intention of dragging the group into
              > anything modern.

              Er, Patrice, it hadn't occurred to me that the term "red hot jazz" was to be
              regarded as time limited to this extent. Of course we're mainly about the
              vintage era, the jazz age, or whatever you want to call it, but surely Louis
              Armstrong in 1955 is not actually off-topic.

              Is it?