Re: pre-war blues (was: Jug Bands)

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2005
      Good evening

      I suppose it is my job to reply to Jeff and Tommers, hoping the explanation
      will be clear, correct and complete.

      The pre-war-blues list is a private, moderated Yahoo group with restricted
      membership. Private means it is not listed in the directory, moderated means
      that very few members can post without approval, and restriction does not
      only apply to possible spammers as it does here (in other words, the "reason
      for joining" is carefully examined)
      But although it applies strict rules and does not make any publicity, it is,
      as you can guess, a most interesting mailing-list...

      I think I have two reasons to avoid discussions concerning "strictly
      blues" musicians on the redhotjazz list, which are a) to avoid competing
      with pre-war-blues, knowing that a number of our subscribers are also
      members of this group, and b) not to encourage subjects which many other
      members might consider as definitely off-topic.
      But as I said, this is partly my personal reluctance, I do not think it is
      more a "mistake" to deal with blues musicians here than it is to
      occasionally talk about early jazz styles or old-time music on
      pre-war-blues.
      A group is mostly what its members make it, so I suppose I can try to share
      my views about some (arguable) dividing lines between styles, but this has
      no relation with my moderator's activities - which will automatically become
      less and less visible as the group grows.
      I would not like anyone to feel offended or refreined from posting
      because of a remark which was just meant to keep the original
      subject in mind. If I've been clumsy, please accept my apologies.

      Patrice

      P.S. there is also a post-war-blues yahoogroup, in case you wondered
      http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/post-war-blues/ which includes several
      of our members, and offered much help with the creation of redhotjazz.
    • Jeffrey Jastram
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2005
        Quite to the contrary, mon ami. I think your comments are on-point and
        quite appropriate. This is precisely what a moderator should do.