Disco(graphy)'s Not Dead

  • Jeffrey Jastram
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
      Need dates (recording and/or release), location, and personnel for the
      following: If they are re-issues, please so indicate.

      "Back O'Town Blues" and "Mack The Knife" by Louis Armstrong & His All-Stars
      (Columbia 40587/CO 53817 and CO 53818)

      Thanks.

      Jeff Jastram
      1279 Springfield Street
      Suite 222
      Upland, California
      USA 91786
      mister_j@...
    • Robert Smith
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
        Hello Jeff,

        I'm a bit hesitant to tell you what I have on these two recordings, because I have them on an English Philips 78, which seems a bit strange when the recording date is given as 1955. Also there were a lot of recordings of both tunes. Anyway, here's what I have:

        LOUIS ARMSTRONG AND HIS ALL STARS
        Louis Armstrong (tpt, vcl); Trummy Young (tbn); Edmond Hall (clt); Billy Kyle (p); Arvell Shaw (bs); Barrett Deems (d)
        New York City September 28 1955
        AA 217751H1 A Theme From The Threepenny Opera (Mack The Knife) PhiE PB574
        AA217752H1 Back O'Town Blues PhiE PB574

        Kind Regards

        Bob Smith

      • Jeffrey Jastram
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
          Your hesitancy is well founded. When I put out this question I had
          forgotten about the Louis Armstrong website given to me by one of our
          members.

          The result >>> While your date, location and personnel were spot-on, the
          original issue was indeed on the Columbia record I gave.

          Thanks, Jeff.
          I'm a bit hesitant to tell you what I have on these two recordings,
          because I have them on an English Philips 78, which seems a bit strange
          when the recording date is given as 1955. Also there were a lot of
          recordings of both tunes. Anyway, here's what I have:

          LOUIS ARMSTRONG AND HIS ALL STARS
          Louis Armstrong (tpt, vcl); Trummy Young (tbn); Edmond Hall (clt); Billy
          Kyle (p); Arvell Shaw (bs); Barrett Deems (d)
          New York City September 28 1955
          AA 217751H1 A Theme From The Threepenny Opera (Mack The Knife) PhiE PB574
          AA217752H1 Back O'Town Blues PhiE PB574

          Kind Regards

          Bob Smith

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        • Leif R. Blom
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
            Hello Jeff and Bob,
            I remember I got this 78-recording on my 15th birthday. Perhaps it was a Philips, I only remember a blue label. I don´t have it any longer. I didn´t like it. I and some fellows had seen the All Stars playing in Stockholm 1955. But I didn´t like that either. It was too much an entertainment to me, so I didn´t go when they came back 1959.
            Which war are we "pre" now ?
            Yarel 41

            Robert Smith <robert.smith@...> wrote:
            Hello Jeff,

            I'm a bit hesitant to tell you what I have on these two recordings, because I have them on an English Philips 78, which seems a bit strange when the recording date is given as 1955. Also there were a lot of recordings of both tunes. Anyway, here's what I have:

            LOUIS ARMSTRONG AND HIS ALL STARS
            Louis Armstrong (tpt, vcl); Trummy Young (tbn); Edmond Hall (clt); Billy Kyle (p); Arvell Shaw (bs); Barrett Deems (d)
            New York City September 28 1955
            AA 217751H1 A Theme From The Threepenny Opera (Mack The Knife) PhiE PB574
            AA217752H1 Back O'Town Blues PhiE PB574

            Kind Regards

            Bob Smith

            Genres of music Jazz music Music genres

          • Jeffrey Jastram
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2005
              Leif:

              Look, I'm sorry. If I'd reflected for 5 seconds I would have realized the
              this recording was post-1935 or whatever. Other tunes in my collection are
              not so clearly within a time frame and so I must ask.

              Let me assure you there was no intention of dragging the group into
              anything modern.

              Subserviently yours,

              Jeff (The Shame-faced One)

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2005
                on 2/11/05 15:49, Jeffrey Jastram at mister_j@... wrote:

                > Look, I'm sorry. If I'd reflected for 5 seconds I would have realized the
                > this recording was post-1935 or whatever. Other tunes in my collection are
                > not so clearly within a time frame and so I must ask.
                >
                > Let me assure you there was no intention of dragging the group into
                > anything modern.

                Er, Patrice, it hadn't occurred to me that the term "red hot jazz" was to be
                regarded as time limited to this extent. Of course we're mainly about the
                vintage era, the jazz age, or whatever you want to call it, but surely Louis
                Armstrong in 1955 is not actually off-topic.

                Is it?