AW: [RedHotJazz] Hey, There's Some New Stuff On www.redhotjazz.com

  • Rader, Michael
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 24, 2004
      Hi Patrice,

      I have listened to one side in the meantime and stand by my original impression. You're very obviously right about the problem of borderlines. In the innocent days when I started listening to jazz my only source of knowledge were a few books and the reissue programmes of the major labels. This created my first impressions about the "jazz map".

      It was only when reissue programmes by collectors, such as the Fountain/Retrieval and VJM projects, started going beyond the hard-core of classics, that I became aware that there is much more music out there and that history isn't as simple as the books would have us believe.

      The dividing-line between vaudeville and blues singing is difficult: I think Messrs. Rust, Godrich and Dixon employed "rules of thumb" like the colour of the singer's skin and labels on which the recordings were issued. When you hear Paramount, you automatically think of blues and Afro-American musicians...

      Best regards,

      Michael
      -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----