Can you identify these?

  • virajopinion
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 27, 2005
      Hi folks,

      A couple of songs in the Files section of the group under a folder
      called Identify_These.

      Can you identify the composers? I will take them down and put up more
      if people are interested!

      Cheers,

      Viraj
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 28, 2005
        Hi Viraj

        I must warn you that most of this group's members don't really enjoy such
        "modern" stuff ;-)))

        But it was a great surprise to hear these in the morning, the first one is
        Too Marvelous For Words, played by Art Tatum (from some private session
        recorded at his home in 1955, I think) and the second one is Duke
        Ellington's band playing Day Dream (Billy Strayhorn), I'm not good enough at
        recognizing horn blowers to say I'm 101% sure the sax is Johnny Hodges, but
        who else could it be? Anyway it is not the original 1940 version.

        Just out of curiosity, why did you ask for these?

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 31, 2005
          Hi Patrice,

          Thank you! I will make sure to post the cooler pre-swing stuff. This is an
          amazingly fun part of a Jazz History course I'm currently taking. The part
          that involves actually listening to hours and hours of music! I've also
          been reading Ted Gioia's almost definitive History of Jazz and loving every
          moment of it. I can't imagine how long it's taken me to get into this being
          a bass player for an indian classical band. Will post more songs for the
          group.

          I went to a jazz bar down in Hillcrest (San Diego) recently. It's called
          the Red Fox tavern and it's built like the original Red Fox in England.
          Some AMAZING music. They definitely played some Joplin, Earl Hines piano
          and King Oliver cornet pieces that I recognized. This is just two guys one
          on piano and one on cornet!!! Other than the couple of triple stoli on
          rocks, they totally blew my mind!!! And their steaks are pretty good too!

          Cheers and many thanks,

          Viraj