Re: [RedHotJazz] That's My Home

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 26, 2005
      on 26/10/05 10:14, Robert Smith at robert.smith@... wrote:

      > Your question regarding "That's My Home" is very interesting. 'Jazz Directory'
      > quotes December 28 and the matrix number 74820. Here's the interesting point:
      > The session described earlier, recorded December 21, 1932 has matrix numbers
      > 74877 and 74878. Assuming Victor assigned matrix numbers chronologically, this
      > would point to December 28 being wrong. However the December 21 session was
      > recorded in Philadelphia and the December 28 session in Camden, N.J., so it's
      > also possible that blocks of matrix numbers were sent to different locations,
      > and this could easily upset a chronological sequence.
      >
      > So, for the moment, I rest my case!

      Sorry I didn't spot this ancient error earlier, always the risk with using
      very out-of-date sources like Jazz Directory, which were compiled before
      anyone had been able to systematically search company files.

      The correct recording date for 74820 is indeed 8 December 1932, so shown in
      Brian Rust's Victor Master Book, and very unlikely to be wrong. I just
      checked New Hot Discography and that has yet another set of relationships
      between masters and dates, so it looks as though these sessions were all
      over the place until Brian got access to the actual ledgers.

      Both sessions referred to above were recorded in Camden, which is where
      Victor's "Philadelphia" studios actually were. This error probably comes
      from the company assuming that some early enquirer wouldn't know where
      Camden was!