Re: [RedHotJazz] And the hits just keep on comin' ...

  • Robert Smith
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 25, 2005
      Jeff,

      I don't have all the necessary information on the Ory and Moten because 'Jazz Directory' folded after Vol VI (Ki-Lo) was issued. However I have the two Ory sides on Crescent 4 (a 78 dub issued by Jazz Man Records, Hollywood). Here are the details:

      KID ORY'S CREOLE JAZZ BAND
      Los Angeles, September 8, 1945
      Mutt Carey (tpt); Edward "Kid" Ory (tbn); Darnell Howard (clt); Buster Wilson (p); Ed Garland (bs); Bud Scott (g); Minor Hall (d)
      1013 1919 GTJ 70, Cr 4
      1018 Down Home Rag GTJ 70, Cr 4

      I think the Good Time Jazz 78 will be original (look for the matrix numbers scratched in the wax). I have a strong suspicion that the matrix numbers I've quoted above are those given by Crescent.

      Sorry I can't help with Moten. I have some of his records, but unfortunately not this one.

      I was lucky enough to hear Kid Ory live at a concert in Birmingham, England in the 1950's, and it was easy to see why he was called "Kid". He was about 70 years old, but looked like a 40 year old, and played like a 20 year old.

      Cheers

      Bob Smith