Re: [RedHotJazz] Hey, There's Some New Stuff On www.redhotjazz.com

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 24, 2004
      > This link was from a posting to the list, so it isn't strictly on techy
      > matters.

      That was just a thought, and a question to Scott at the same time, no
      grieving aimed at you at all!

      Keep the ball rolling ;)

      Patrice
    • Scott Alexander
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 24, 2004
        Oops, sorry the Arthur Gibbs Gang is here:
        http://www.redhotjazz.com/gibbsgang.html
      • Scott Alexander
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 24, 2004
          When I try to decide what should go on the site I try to think about how
          people then would have viewed this music back in 1920. I'm sure that most
          people would have seen records like Flo Bert's as being jazz or blues.
          Singers like Marion Harris, Mamie Smith, Lucille Hegamin and Flo Bert don't
          strike our modern years as being particularly "jazzy or bluesy" but it is my
          belief that in 1920 these records were considered as such and seen as kind
          of risque by the standards of the day.

          Beyond the classification question, I really like Flo Bert's version of
          "What'cha Gon'na Do When There Ain't No Jazz". It is a great little time
          capsule of the attitudes of the "Jazz Age". They've just banned liquor in
          the United States and there was a lot of talk about the moral dangers of
          jazz in the newspapers. The lyrics seem kind of subversive to me. It seems
          to me that she is alluding that since the kids can't drink or dance to jazz
          they will just have sex instead. I like her leering pharsing of "They made
          us drink sarsaparilla, that's not enough for any fellow". It's also cool how
          Flo almost raps about one minute and forty seconds into the song when she
          goes into the heavily syncopated section that begins "They took away our
          liquor".

          Listen to the song here:
          http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/misc/whatyougonnado.ram

          Read the published lyrics here: