Re: [RedHotJazz] Ma Rainey - alternative takes

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 22, 2005
      on 22/10/05 2:30, spacelights at spacelights@... wrote:

      > Can anyone confirm these alternatives (listed in Rust, but not in Godrich,
      > Dixon, and Rye)?
      >
      > c. 12-12-23 Moonshine Blues (1608-1)
      > c. May, '24 Lawd, Send Me a Man (1758-1)
      > c. August, '27 Oh Papa Blues (4692-2)

      For the record, 1758-1 and 4692-2 did not come to light during Max Vreede's
      Paramount 12000/13000 study, which is why they are omitted from B&GR.

      1608-1 is more of a puzzle. Max lists this in his book as though he had seen
      it, but subsequently raised it as a query (Storyville 139, p.40): 1608-2
      seen; -1 dubious. No one responded to the query as far as I can discover.
      There may be some more information somewhere but this leaves me the queasy
      feeling that zapping this one may have been premature.

      There are numerous apparent mis-reports of takes in early literature. Most
      of them result from misinterpretation of numbers on the record. However,
      it's all too possible that some of them relate to records which once existed
      but fell by the wayside before tape recorders hopefully eliminated the
      possibility of any music being totally lost, except when it is in the hands
      of the terminally selfish.

      If anyone does have any of these please let us know and let them be compared
      with the better-known take so it can be established that they are aurally
      distinct. This is the only reliable way of establishing that an alternative
      take exists.