Re: Fats Waller's Rhythm (early chronology?)

  • ikey100
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 19, 2005
      Thank you very much, Howard, that makes the picture clearer, with
      Porter and Jones as intermittent stand-ins until Jones settled in
      permanently by early '37. It makes sense that, per Rust, Slick Jones
      could have been on the August '36 session, as he was also on
      sessions that year by others in the Rhythm vein (Putney Dandridge
      and Emmett Mathews). Aside from Boling's health, the Dial and Turner
      intrigue surely reflects the appeal of being in Fats' group,
      especially with other opportunities depressed. It seems safe to say
      that Fats probably took more interest in the group's musical side
      than its' labor affairs.

      "Fats in Fact" and the Harry Dial book have been on my wish list for
      quite awhile now; I had only acquired "Mr. Jelly Lord" and several
      others before Storyville's lamented shuttering. I also hope to get
      the Maurice Waller book, although I understand it to be more of a
      personal memoir. And I must confess I recently acquired an ex-libris
      copy of Grove; now I must build my muscles for lifting and get in
      the habit of remembering to check those entries too! :)

      Again, thanks so much for your willingness to repost such
      Warren, USA

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Howard Rye <howard@c...> wrote:

      > Laurie Wright's bio-discography (Fats In Fact, 1992), which I am
      happy to prefer to any of the above sources, gives Porter for all
      1936 sessions up to June...
      > To Boling's appearance on the 9th August broadcast, he notes "This
      is 'Scrippie' Boling's last recorded appearance with Fats Waller and
      His Rhythm. His declining health deteriorated to the point where he
      had to hand over to Slick Jones on a permanent basis."
      > He is otherwise last listed for 29 November 1935, Porter taking
      over on 4 December, with the note "Arnold Boling, the band's regular
      drummer, was beginning to have health problems, which led to a
      series of temporary and then permanent replacements being used when
      he was unable to play."
      > In any event it seems clear Boling was ill!
      > Fats In Fact agrees with the other sources about Charlie Turner.
      This information comes from Harry Dial who brought him along to Fats
      as a favor after Turner lost his gig at the Arcadia Ballroom. Turner
      returned the favor by driving Dial out of the band (but that's only
      Dial's version of events of course).
      > The big band tour began on or about 1 June 1935. On the basis of
      my research for Turner's entry in Grove I believe it is a mistake to
      call this Turner's band. It included some of the men Turner had been
      leading at the Arcadia Ballroom the previous year and according to
      Dial, who is admittedly not an unbiassed witness, Turner hoped to
      take it over, but it was definitely Waller's band and remained so.
      Hank Duncan was employed as relief pianist. In other words he played
      the piano for a couple of numbers until someone said, "And now the
      star of our show the wonderful, the inimitable, little Fats Waller!"