How to get the films to play from redhotjazz.com??

  • Robert Smith
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 6, 2005
      Hello Scott,

      I've just downloaded and played the Windows Media Player version of "The Rhythm Makers" film clip.
      The picture was good even at full screen size, i.e. no "digital effects", and the sound was as good as could be expected from a film of this age.
      I look forward to viewing other film clips - keep up the good work.

      Cheers

      Bob Smith

    • Hugh Crozier
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 6, 2005
        Yes - I have no problem with the Rhythm Boys clip. It is excellent!

        But I would really like to see the Bessie St Louis Blues and the Duke clips again. can someone tell me jhow to view the Red Hot jazz Archive files in Windows Media Player or any other modern video viewer?

        Hugh crozier

        Robert Smith <robert.smith@...> wrote:
        Hello Scott,

        I've just downloaded and played the Windows Media Player version of "The Rhythm Makers" film clip.
        The picture was good even at full screen size, i.e. no "digital effects", and the sound was as good as could be expected from a film of this age.
        I look forward to viewing other film clips - keep up the good work.

        Cheers

        Bob Smith

      • Scott Alexander
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 6, 2005
          Hugh,
          I'm redoing them both, but here is a low res version of St. Louis Blues:
          http://www.redhotjazz.com/movies/stlouisblues.wmv

          I this I compressed this too much...
          Scott Alexander
          The Red Hot Jazz Archive
          www.redhotjazz.com

          Hugh Crozier wrote:

          >Yes - I have no problem with the Rhythm Boys clip. It is excellent!
          >
          >But I would really like to see the Bessie St Louis Blues and the Duke clips again. can someone tell me jhow to view the Red Hot jazz Archive files in Windows Media Player or any other modern video viewer?
          >
          >Hugh crozier
          >
          >Robert Smith <robert.smith@...> wrote:
          >Hello Scott,
          >
          >I've just downloaded and played the Windows Media Player version of "The Rhythm Makers" film clip.
          >The picture was good even at full screen size, i.e. no "digital effects", and the sound was as good as could be expected from a film of this age.
          >I look forward to viewing other film clips - keep up the good work.
          >
          >Cheers
          >
          >Bob Smith

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • scott_langholff
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 6, 2005
            Hi Scott

            I take it you are the one that has the Red Hot Jazz site with all
            the recordings. Great job by the way. I love that kind of music.
            My first love, and always will be. Thank goodness you've got this
            out there.

            I just watched Bing and the boys. The Windows media player had a
            noticibly better picture. At first I thought I might be favoring
            that format because that's the one I prefer. So I watched them
            again. It became very apparent that the windows version does look
            better. you can especially tell it when the piano player gets a
            close up when he's singing toward the early part of the film. The
            other version (quick time?) has all kinds of funny stuff happening
            in the white background wall. Squiggly lines moving around. That
            didn't happen in the windows version. I also found it very easy to
            figure out how to enlarge the windows version screen on the spot. I
            never did figure out how to make the quick time version change size.

            Other than that, it would seem that the windows version would be the
            most prevelant out there.

            Also, for the heck of it, I thought as a way of introducing myself
            as the new kid on the block, I'd include a link to my web site. I
            play arranger keyboard. It sounds like a band. Hope you enjoy.
            I've played trumpet, sax, drums and keys in dixie and swing bands
            among other styles. If you're an acoustic purist like I used to
            be...........you still may enjoy it.haha

            http://scottlmusic.com/Listen.html

            Best

            Scott Langholff

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Scott Alexander <scott@t...>
            wrote:

            > I need some people to test these file formats:
            >
            > Here are two identical clips of Paul Whiteman's Rhythm Boys from
            the
            > "King of Jazz" film. The first is in the Windows format the second
            is in
            > the Apple Quicktime format.
            > http://www.redhotjazz.com/movies/kj/kjrhythmboys.wmv (13 mb)
            > http://www.redhotjazz.com/movies/kj/kjrhythmboys.mov (8.4 mb)
            >
            > Are these okay size wise for you folks? Too big? Too small?
            > Scott Alexander
            > The Red Hot Jazz Archive
            > www.redhotjazz.com
            >

            > Brad Bechtel wrote:
            >
            > >Of course, after all that, I found the MPlayer application, which
            claims to be able to play .VIV
            > >files correctly. Here's the download page:
            > >http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html
            > >
            > >You'll probably need the additional codecs on that same page in
            order to see the movie
            > >correctly. On my Macintosh I see the movie but without sound,
            and it's pretty jerky.

            > >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Jeffrey Jastram
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 7, 2005
              Yes, Scott and Hugh, this is VERY low res: faces can't be distinguished and movement is jerky, at best. Sound is pretty good, though. I have several of Ms. Smith's records but not this one so I'd love to see and hear this version clearly. let me know when it's improved.

              Jeff (The New Kid).

              Hugh Crozier wrote:

              >Yes - I have no problem with the Rhythm Boys clip. It is excellent!
              >
              >But I would really like to see the Bessie St Louis Blues and the Duke clips again. can someone tell me jhow to view the Red Hot jazz Archive files in Windows Media Player or any other modern video viewer?
              >
              >Hugh crozier
              >
              >Robert Smith <robert.smith@...> wrote:
              >Hello Scott,
              >
              >I've just downloaded and played the Windows Media Player version of "The Rhythm Makers" film clip.
              >The picture was good even at full screen size, i.e. no "digital effects", and the sound was as good as could be expected from a film of this age.
              >I look forward to viewing other film clips - keep up the good work.
              >
              >Cheers
              >
              >Bob Smith

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            • Jeffrey Jastram
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 7, 2005
                Scott Langholff:

                You can't be the "New Kid ...", I'm "The New Kid"!!!

                Just kidding, of course.

                Your enthusiasm is most welcome!

                Jeff ("The New Kid")

                wrote:

                > I need some people to test these file formats:
                >
                > Here are two identical clips of Paul Whiteman's Rhythm Boys from
                the
                > "King of Jazz" film. The first is in the Windows format the second
                is in
                > the Apple Quicktime format.
                > http://www.redhotjazz.com/movies/kj/kjrhythmboys.wmv (13 mb)
                > http://www.redhotjazz.com/movies/kj/kjrhythmboys.mov (8.4 mb)
                >
                > Are these okay size wise for you folks? Too big? Too small?
                > Scott Alexander
                > The Red Hot Jazz Archive
                > www.redhotjazz.com
                >

                > Brad Bechtel wrote:
                >
                > >Of course, after all that, I found the MPlayer application, which
                claims to be able to play .VIV
                > >files correctly. Here's the download page:
                > >http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html
                > >
                > >You'll probably need the additional codecs on that same page in
                order to see the movie
                > >correctly. On my Macintosh I see the movie but without sound,
                and it's pretty jerky.

                > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 7, 2005
                  If you want it for keeps, the entire film is available with other very worthy stuff on a Shanachie DVD in very good quality. The title of the compilation is "At the Jazz Band Ball" and it also includes clips by Bix Beiderbecke with the Whitemen Orchestra (actually silent, but with music from a disc), Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, the Boswell Sisters etc. I'm sure there's something there for everyone.

                  By the way, I have a VHS version, so I can't comment on the quality of the DVD, but knowing Shanachie it should be good.

                  > Yes, Scott and Hugh, this is VERY low res: faces can't be distinguished and movement is jerky, at best. Sound is pretty good, though. I have several of Ms. Smith's records but not this one so I'd love to see and hear this version clearly. let me know when it's improved.
                  >
                  > Jeff (The New Kid).

                  Erweitern Sie FreeMail zu einem noch leistungsstarkeren E-Mail-Postfach!
                • Hugh Crozier
                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 7, 2005
                    Interesting. I have a feeling that Riverside issued the sound track of this short in the 1960s because they couldn't get any other Bessie sides to issue. Does anybody else recall this?

                    Hugh

                    Hugh Crozier wrote:

                    >Yes - I have no problem with the Rhythm Boys clip. It is excellent!
                    >
                    >But I would really like to see the Bessie St Louis Blues and the Duke clips again. can someone tell me jhow to view the Red Hot jazz Archive files in Windows Media Player or any other modern video viewer?
                    >
                    >Hugh crozier
                    >
                    >Robert Smith <robert.smith@...> wrote:
                    >Hello Scott,
                    >
                    >I've just downloaded and played the Windows Media Player version of "The Rhythm Makers" film clip.
                    >The picture was good even at full screen size, i.e. no "digital effects", and the sound was as good as could be expected from a film of this age.
                    >I look forward to viewing other film clips - keep up the good work.
                    >
                    >Cheers
                    >
                    >Bob Smith

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    Genres of music Jazz music Music genres

                  • spacelights
                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 7, 2005
                      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Hugh Crozier <jellyrollstomp@y...>
                      wrote:

                      > Interesting. I have a feeling that Riverside issued the sound track of this
                      short in the 1960s because they couldn't get any other Bessie sides to issue.
                      Does anybody else recall this?

                      > Hugh

                      Hi--

                      I don't know about Riverside; Biograph put it out on LP ('Bessie Smith, Louis
                      Armstrong, Cab Calloway,' BLP-M-3) in 1978. It's also on the Frog CD 'The
                      Complete Recordings - Volume 7' and an earlier Columbia CD box...

                      John
                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 7, 2005
                        on 7/10/05 21:38, Hugh Crozier at jellyrollstomp@... wrote:

                        > Interesting. I have a feeling that Riverside issued the sound track of this
                        > short in the 1960s because they couldn't get any other Bessie sides to issue.
                        > Does anybody else recall this?

                        Yes. I think they copied the Circle 78s rather than going back to the film
                        soundtrack though. There are at least 4 LP issues of the complete
                        soundtrack, and several CDs.

                        You can hear the whole film dubbed by John R.T. on Vol. 7 of Frog's Bessie
                        Smith series (DGF46). Accept no substitutes.

                      • Robert Smith
                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 8, 2005
                          Hello Hugh,

                          You are right. The Riverside LP was in the 'Jazz Archives Series' entitled "Great Blues Singers" on RLP 12-121. The original Paramount issues were remastered (by Reeves Sound Studios) in 1957 for reissue on this LP. The other artists were: Ma Rainey, Ida Cox, Sara Martin, Trixie Smith, Mary Johnson, Hociel Thomas, and Bertha "Chippie" Hill.

                          Cheers

                          Bob Smith