Soundies

  • hvandervink
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2005
      Hello,
      Some time ago I saw a documentary, narrated by Cab Calloway, on the
      history of the "Soundies", the forerunner of the music videos.
      Even though there is (I am sure) a lot of information available on this
      (now forgotten)medium, I would like to know what the panel's opinion is
      of these films. I do not know if they are available on video or DVD,
      but, from what I have seen, they certainly are entertaining,
      occasionally racy, but a good indication of the interests of that era.
      It seems that more than 2,000 films were made of all kinds of groups,
      from Big Bands to Zither Solos; whatever happened to them?
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2005
        on 5/10/05 3:22, hvandervink at vanderha@... wrote:

        > Some time ago I saw a documentary, narrated by Cab Calloway, on the
        > history of the "Soundies", the forerunner of the music videos.
        > Even though there is (I am sure) a lot of information available on this
        > (now forgotten)medium, I would like to know what the panel's opinion is
        > of these films. I do not know if they are available on video or DVD,
        > but, from what I have seen, they certainly are entertaining,
        > occasionally racy, but a good indication of the interests of that era.
        > It seems that more than 2,000 films were made of all kinds of groups,
        > from Big Bands to Zither Solos; whatever happened to them?

        If you want, I'll post the history I wrote for the reissue series done by
        Charly in Britain in the early 90s. At the time I was told that they all
        survived but some exist only in the form of 35mm reverse-image prints which
        it is expensive to convert. Even so we got a few done by the most important
        jazz artists before the series fell by the wayside.

        Reissues tend to concentrate on those which were transferred to 16mm for the
        home movie trade (often still in reverse image so the credit sequences had
        to be cut off to conceal this!) or which were released as television fillers
        by Official Films. The best ongoing source for them internationally is the
        former Storyville series, currently marketed I think by the Andorran Idem
        outfit. These may or may not play on U.S. DVD players.

        Maurice Terenzio, Scott MacGillivray, Ted Okuda, The Soundies Distributing
        Corporation of America (McFarland, 1991) contains a complete list but
        annoyingly doesn't give release numbers and is completely uncritical. It is
        I think written by and for film buffs rather than music buffs.

        I have a consolidated list of those by African-American artists but it is
        too big to post. I don't know any critical list which separates white jazz
        material from the dross (and some of the dross is the pits. Watch it and
        gasp both at the talent and the production values), except in so far as it
        can be extracted from Meeker and other standard jazz on film sources.

      • bingham
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2005
          Back in the days when the American Movie Classics cable
          network actually showed classic American movies (mostly
          b&w), they used to run occasional Soundies as filler between
          films. I've often kicked myself for not taping them off the
          air. I don't have cable anymore, but my guess is the
          new-and-unimproved current AMC network doesn't show them
          anymore.
          Tom Bingham

          > Hello,
          > Some time ago I saw a documentary, narrated by Cab
          > Calloway, on the history of the "Soundies", the
          > forerunner of the music videos. Even though there is (I
          > am sure) a lot of information available on this (now
          > forgotten)medium, I would like to know what the panel's
          > opinion is of these films. I do not know if they are
          > available on video or DVD, but, from what I have seen,
          > they certainly are entertaining, occasionally racy, but a
          > good indication of the interests of that era. It seems
          > that more than 2,000 films were made of all kinds of
          > groups, from Big Bands to Zither Solos; whatever happened
          > to them?

          Tom Bingham
          Mason 2042
          School of Music
          SUNY Fredonia
          Fredonia, NY 14063
        • bingham
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 2005
            Back in the days when the American Movie Classics cable
            network actually showed classic American movies (mostly
            b&w), they used to run occasional Soundies as filler between
            films. I've often kicked myself for not taping them off the
            air. I don't have cable anymore, but my guess is the
            new-and-unimproved current AMC network doesn't show them
            anymore.
            Tom Bingham

            > Hello,
            > Some time ago I saw a documentary, narrated by Cab
            > Calloway, on the history of the "Soundies", the
            > forerunner of the music videos. Even though there is (I
            > am sure) a lot of information available on this (now
            > forgotten)medium, I would like to know what the panel's
            > opinion is of these films. I do not know if they are
            > available on video or DVD, but, from what I have seen,
            > they certainly are entertaining, occasionally racy, but a
            > good indication of the interests of that era. It seems
            > that more than 2,000 films were made of all kinds of
            > groups, from Big Bands to Zither Solos; whatever happened
            > to them?

            Tom Bingham
            Mason 2042
            School of Music
            SUNY Fredonia
            Fredonia, NY 14063
          • GregL
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 7, 2005
              There are some of the Soundies available for free download at the
              Internet Archive.

              Try this link:

              http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=soundie