Re: How to get the films to play from redhotjazz.com??

  • tommersl
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 4, 2005
      As for Linux, some wmv file it plays and others not, at least thats
      what my linux does. From my experience with Linux realplayer is more
      stable.

      tommersl

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Scott Alexander <scott@t...> wrote:
      > How do you Mac and Linux people feel about wmv files? Can you play them?
      >
      > Scott Alexander
      > The Red Hot Jazz Archive
      > www.redhotjazz.com
      >

      > Robert Smith wrote:
      >
      > >Hello Scott,
      > >
      > >I think the most universally available film player, although not
      the best, is the Windows Media Player. I think this is bundled with
      Windows XP, 2000, and 2003.
      > >The quality of the reproduction is mostly governed by the speed of
      the Internet connection, so I think the Windows Media Player is the
      best bet.

      > >Cheers
      > >
      > >Bob Smith

      > >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Hugh Crozier
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 4, 2005
        Footprint?

        Adriel <azure.music@...> wrote:
        Windows medial player seems to work ok. Mpeg works across platforms but, you
        have to deal with a bigger footprint.

        _Adriel

        > From: Scott Alexander <scott@...>
        > Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 13:41:38 -0700
        > To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: Re: [RedHotJazz] How to get the films to play from redhotjazz.com??
        >
        > How do you Mac and Linux people feel about wmv files? Can you play them?
        >
        > Scott Alexander
        > The Red Hot Jazz Archive
        > www.redhotjazz.com
        >

        > Robert Smith wrote:
        >
        >> Hello Scott,
        >>
        >> I think the most universally available film player, although not the best, is
        >> the Windows Media Player. I think this is bundled with Windows XP, 2000, and
        >> 2003.
        >> The quality of the reproduction is mostly governed by the speed of the
        >> Internet connection, so I think the Windows Media Player is the best bet.
        >>
        >> Cheers
        >>
        >> Bob Smith

        >> Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Adriel
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 4, 2005
          File size :)

          > From: Hugh Crozier <jellyrollstomp@...>
          > Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 23:08:56 +0100 (BST)
          > To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: Re: [RedHotJazz] How to get the films to play from redhotjazz.com??
          >
          > Footprint?
          >

          > Adriel <azure.music@...> wrote:
          > Windows medial player seems to work ok. Mpeg works across platforms but, you
          > have to deal with a bigger footprint.
          >
          > _Adriel

        • Hugh Crozier
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 4, 2005
            to be honest, I have had a problem with this too. Does anybody know a non-techie way of viewing these films? If I could download them to my hard drive I might be able to do something but I can't get anything like close enough to the files to do that. It is very frustrating because the Bessie short is a genuine classic!

            Hugh

            Adriel <azure.music@...> wrote:
            File size :)

            > From: Hugh Crozier <jellyrollstomp@...>
            > Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 23:08:56 +0100 (BST)
            > To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: Re: [RedHotJazz] How to get the films to play from redhotjazz.com??
            >
            > Footprint?
            >

            > Adriel <azure.music@...> wrote:
            > Windows medial player seems to work ok. Mpeg works across platforms but, you
            > have to deal with a bigger footprint.
            >
            > _Adriel

          • Scott Alexander
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 4, 2005
              I need some people to test these file formats:

              Here are two identical clips of Paul Whiteman's Rhythm Boys from the
              "King of Jazz" film. The first is in the Windows format the second is in
              the Apple Quicktime format.
              http://www.redhotjazz.com/movies/kj/kjrhythmboys.wmv (13 mb)
              http://www.redhotjazz.com/movies/kj/kjrhythmboys.mov (8.4 mb)

              Are these okay size wise for you folks? Too big? Too small?
              Scott Alexander
              The Red Hot Jazz Archive
              www.redhotjazz.com

              Brad Bechtel wrote:

              >Of course, after all that, I found the MPlayer application, which claims to be able to play .VIV
              >files correctly. Here's the download page:
              >http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html
              >
              >You'll probably need the additional codecs on that same page in order to see the movie
              >correctly. On my Macintosh I see the movie but without sound, and it's pretty jerky.
              >

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Arthur LA hOTE
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 4, 2005
                Havae to say thank you SO MUCH, I actually saw the film "The King of Jazz" in the theater in Los Angeles in the 80's in the Museum (County) in a special they had at the time on "silents" and early sound. How wonderful that you were able to forward these clips on. Wish you would send all you can. Also let us know how you were able to capture them. Art LaHote

                Brad Bechtel wrote:

                >Of course, after all that, I found the MPlayer application, which claims to be able to play .VIV
                >files correctly. Here's the download page:
                >http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html
                >
                >You'll probably need the additional codecs on that same page in order to see the movie
                >correctly. On my Macintosh I see the movie but without sound, and it's pretty jerky.
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                Genres of music Jazz music Music genres

                ---------------------------------

              • Jeffrey Jastram
                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 5, 2005
                  perfect fit for me: windows xp pro/ real player!

                  jeff, the new kid

                  [Ahem! Sorry for "editing" your first posting,
                  Jeff, 60 lines of quotes removed! ;)
                  - Patrice ]
                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 5, 2005
                    Hello Scott

                    http://www.redhotjazz.com/movies/kj/kjrhythmboys.wmv (13 mb)
                    cannot stream properly with my basic DSL connection (too much to load into
                    memory, so it hangs a couple of times) but the picture is far better;
                    the most convenient way is to save the file and enjoy offline.

                    http://www.redhotjazz.com/movies/kj/kjrhythmboys.mov (8.4 mb)
                    works faster, but as everyone knows Quicktime is no real streaming either,
                    the 8,4 mb have to be downloaded to the "temporary internet files" (which
                    means that you can find the whole clip there after viewing, if you know
                    the path ;) and there's no way I know of to play it fullscreen. Maybe some
                    people with slow connections would prefer this... I wouldn't, I remember
                    waiting over ten minutes for files about this size when I had one,
                    and since I suppose you won't have tons of clips to offer I think it's
                    worth waiting a bit more to get a nicer picture.

                    I tried to encode the .wmv file with Realproducer (basic) this morning, to
                    see if an .ra file would do better, but for some reason it failed... maybe
                    someone with more experience could try.

                    Patrice
                  • Arthur LA hOTE
                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 5, 2005
                      Windows, or Realplayer for me . Art thanks Scott.

                      Scott Alexander <scott@...> wrote:The films are broken at the moment. What format would people like to see
                      for future movie files?

                      Scott Alexander
                      The Red Hot Jazz Archive
                      www.redhotjazz.com

                      scott_langholff wrote:

                      >Hi
                      >
                      >I'd live to be able to view the films on redhotjazz.com. It talks
                      >about the Vivoplayer which is no longer made and not compatible with
                      >Windows XP. I click on the link for RealPlayer and download the free
                      >version. How do I set it to play the films? I hope I don't have to
                      >pay for the upgraded service to be able to see these.
                      >
                      >In a nutshell, how do I view these films for free?
                      >
                      >Thanx
                      >Scott Langholff
                      >

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Jazz music Genres of music Music genres

                      ---------------------------------

                    • Mordechai Litzman
                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 5, 2005
                        Just downloaded the file to Windows mediaplayer, and it worked very well. In the past the VIVO system came with so many caveats that I was afraid to use it.

                        Arthur LA hOTE <alahote@...> wrote:Windows, or Realplayer for me . Art thanks Scott.

                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 6, 2005
                          Downloaded to Windows mediaplayer - it took a couple of minutes and everything works very well.

                          Message 12 of 29 , Oct 6, 2005
                            Hello Scott,

                            I've just downloaded and played the Windows Media Player version of "The Rhythm Makers" film clip.
                            The picture was good even at full screen size, i.e. no "digital effects", and the sound was as good as could be expected from a film of this age.
                            I look forward to viewing other film clips - keep up the good work.

                            Cheers

                            Bob Smith

                          • Hugh Crozier

                              Message 14 of 29 , Oct 6, 2005
                                Hugh,
                                I'm redoing them both, but here is a low res version of St. Louis Blues:
                                http://www.redhotjazz.com/movies/stlouisblues.wmv

                                I this I compressed this too much...
                                Scott Alexander
                                The Red Hot Jazz Archive
                                www.redhotjazz.com

                                Hugh Crozier wrote:

                                >Yes - I have no problem with the Rhythm Boys clip. It is excellent!
                                >
                                >But I would really like to see the Bessie St Louis Blues and the Duke clips again. can someone tell me jhow to view the Red Hot jazz Archive files in Windows Media Player or any other modern video viewer?
                                >
                                >Hugh crozier
                                >
                                >Robert Smith <robert.smith@...> wrote:
                                >Hello Scott,
                                >
                                >I've just downloaded and played the Windows Media Player version of "The Rhythm Makers" film clip.
                                >The picture was good even at full screen size, i.e. no "digital effects", and the sound was as good as could be expected from a film of this age.
                                >I look forward to viewing other film clips - keep up the good work.
                                >
                                >Cheers
                                >
                                >Bob Smith

                                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • scott_langholff
                                Message 15 of 29 , Oct 6, 2005
                                  Hi Scott

                                  I take it you are the one that has the Red Hot Jazz site with all
                                  the recordings. Great job by the way. I love that kind of music.
                                  My first love, and always will be. Thank goodness you've got this
                                  out there.

                                  I just watched Bing and the boys. The Windows media player had a
                                  noticibly better picture. At first I thought I might be favoring
                                  that format because that's the one I prefer. So I watched them
                                  again. It became very apparent that the windows version does look
                                  better. you can especially tell it when the piano player gets a
                                  close up when he's singing toward the early part of the film. The
                                  other version (quick time?) has all kinds of funny stuff happening
                                  in the white background wall. Squiggly lines moving around. That
                                  didn't happen in the windows version. I also found it very easy to
                                  figure out how to enlarge the windows version screen on the spot. I
                                  never did figure out how to make the quick time version change size.

                                  Other than that, it would seem that the windows version would be the
                                  most prevelant out there.

                                  Also, for the heck of it, I thought as a way of introducing myself
                                  as the new kid on the block, I'd include a link to my web site. I
                                  play arranger keyboard. It sounds like a band. Hope you enjoy.
                                  I've played trumpet, sax, drums and keys in dixie and swing bands
                                  among other styles. If you're an acoustic purist like I used to
                                  be...........you still may enjoy it.haha

                                  http://scottlmusic.com/Listen.html

                                  Best

                                  Scott Langholff

                                  wrote:

                                  > I need some people to test these file formats:
                                  >
                                  > Here are two identical clips of Paul Whiteman's Rhythm Boys from
                                  the
                                  > "King of Jazz" film. The first is in the Windows format the second
                                  is in
                                  > the Apple Quicktime format.
                                  > http://www.redhotjazz.com/movies/kj/kjrhythmboys.wmv (13 mb)
                                  > http://www.redhotjazz.com/movies/kj/kjrhythmboys.mov (8.4 mb)
                                  >
                                  > Are these okay size wise for you folks? Too big? Too small?
                                  > Scott Alexander
                                  > The Red Hot Jazz Archive
                                  > www.redhotjazz.com
                                  >

                                  > Brad Bechtel wrote:
                                  >
                                  > >Of course, after all that, I found the MPlayer application, which
                                  claims to be able to play .VIV
                                  > >files correctly. Here's the download page:
                                  > >http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html
                                  > >
                                  > >You'll probably need the additional codecs on that same page in
                                  order to see the movie
                                  > >correctly. On my Macintosh I see the movie but without sound,
                                  and it's pretty jerky.

                                  > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • Jeffrey Jastram
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Oct 7, 2005
                                    Yes, Scott and Hugh, this is VERY low res: faces can't be distinguished and movement is jerky, at best. Sound is pretty good, though. I have several of Ms. Smith's records but not this one so I'd love to see and hear this version clearly. let me know when it's improved.

                                    Jeff (The New Kid).

                                    Hugh Crozier wrote:

                                    >Yes - I have no problem with the Rhythm Boys clip. It is excellent!
                                    >
                                    >But I would really like to see the Bessie St Louis Blues and the Duke clips again. can someone tell me jhow to view the Red Hot jazz Archive files in Windows Media Player or any other modern video viewer?
                                    >
                                    >Hugh crozier
                                    >
                                    >Robert Smith <robert.smith@...> wrote:
                                    >Hello Scott,
                                    >
                                    >I've just downloaded and played the Windows Media Player version of "The Rhythm Makers" film clip.
                                    >The picture was good even at full screen size, i.e. no "digital effects", and the sound was as good as could be expected from a film of this age.
                                    >I look forward to viewing other film clips - keep up the good work.
                                    >
                                    >Cheers
                                    >
                                    >Bob Smith

                                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                  • Jeffrey Jastram
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Oct 7, 2005
                                      Scott Langholff:

                                      You can't be the "New Kid ...", I'm "The New Kid"!!!

                                      Just kidding, of course.

                                      Your enthusiasm is most welcome!

                                      Jeff ("The New Kid")

                                      wrote:

                                      > I need some people to test these file formats:
                                      >
                                      > Here are two identical clips of Paul Whiteman's Rhythm Boys from
                                      the
                                      > "King of Jazz" film. The first is in the Windows format the second
                                      is in
                                      > the Apple Quicktime format.
                                      > http://www.redhotjazz.com/movies/kj/kjrhythmboys.wmv (13 mb)
                                      > http://www.redhotjazz.com/movies/kj/kjrhythmboys.mov (8.4 mb)
                                      >
                                      > Are these okay size wise for you folks? Too big? Too small?
                                      > Scott Alexander
                                      > The Red Hot Jazz Archive
                                      > www.redhotjazz.com
                                      >

                                      > Brad Bechtel wrote:
                                      >
                                      > >Of course, after all that, I found the MPlayer application, which
                                      claims to be able to play .VIV
                                      > >files correctly. Here's the download page:
                                      > >http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html
                                      > >
                                      > >You'll probably need the additional codecs on that same page in
                                      order to see the movie
                                      > >correctly. On my Macintosh I see the movie but without sound,
                                      and it's pretty jerky.

                                      > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Oct 7, 2005
                                        If you want it for keeps, the entire film is available with other very worthy stuff on a Shanachie DVD in very good quality. The title of the compilation is "At the Jazz Band Ball" and it also includes clips by Bix Beiderbecke with the Whitemen Orchestra (actually silent, but with music from a disc), Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, the Boswell Sisters etc. I'm sure there's something there for everyone.

                                        By the way, I have a VHS version, so I can't comment on the quality of the DVD, but knowing Shanachie it should be good.

                                        > Yes, Scott and Hugh, this is VERY low res: faces can't be distinguished and movement is jerky, at best. Sound is pretty good, though. I have several of Ms. Smith's records but not this one so I'd love to see and hear this version clearly. let me know when it's improved.
                                        >
                                        > Jeff (The New Kid).

                                        Erweitern Sie FreeMail zu einem noch leistungsstarkeren E-Mail-Postfach!
                                      • Hugh Crozier
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Oct 7, 2005
                                          Interesting. I have a feeling that Riverside issued the sound track of this short in the 1960s because they couldn't get any other Bessie sides to issue. Does anybody else recall this?

                                          Hugh

                                          Hugh Crozier wrote:

                                          >Yes - I have no problem with the Rhythm Boys clip. It is excellent!
                                          >
                                          >But I would really like to see the Bessie St Louis Blues and the Duke clips again. can someone tell me jhow to view the Red Hot jazz Archive files in Windows Media Player or any other modern video viewer?
                                          >
                                          >Hugh crozier
                                          >
                                          >Robert Smith <robert.smith@...> wrote:
                                          >Hello Scott,
                                          >
                                          >I've just downloaded and played the Windows Media Player version of "The Rhythm Makers" film clip.
                                          >The picture was good even at full screen size, i.e. no "digital effects", and the sound was as good as could be expected from a film of this age.
                                          >I look forward to viewing other film clips - keep up the good work.
                                          >
                                          >Cheers
                                          >
                                          >Bob Smith

                                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                          Genres of music Jazz music Music genres

                                        • spacelights
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Oct 7, 2005
                                            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Hugh Crozier <jellyrollstomp@y...>
                                            wrote:

                                            > Interesting. I have a feeling that Riverside issued the sound track of this
                                            short in the 1960s because they couldn't get any other Bessie sides to issue.
                                            Does anybody else recall this?

                                            > Hugh

                                            Hi--

                                            I don't know about Riverside; Biograph put it out on LP ('Bessie Smith, Louis
                                            Armstrong, Cab Calloway,' BLP-M-3) in 1978. It's also on the Frog CD 'The
                                            Complete Recordings - Volume 7' and an earlier Columbia CD box...

                                            John
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Oct 7, 2005
                                              on 7/10/05 21:38, Hugh Crozier at jellyrollstomp@... wrote:

                                              > Interesting. I have a feeling that Riverside issued the sound track of this
                                              > short in the 1960s because they couldn't get any other Bessie sides to issue.
                                              > Does anybody else recall this?

                                              Yes. I think they copied the Circle 78s rather than going back to the film
                                              soundtrack though. There are at least 4 LP issues of the complete
                                              soundtrack, and several CDs.

                                              You can hear the whole film dubbed by John R.T. on Vol. 7 of Frog's Bessie
                                              Smith series (DGF46). Accept no substitutes.

                                            • Robert Smith
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Oct 8, 2005
                                                Hello Hugh,

                                                You are right. The Riverside LP was in the 'Jazz Archives Series' entitled "Great Blues Singers" on RLP 12-121. The original Paramount issues were remastered (by Reeves Sound Studios) in 1957 for reissue on this LP. The other artists were: Ma Rainey, Ida Cox, Sara Martin, Trixie Smith, Mary Johnson, Hociel Thomas, and Bertha "Chippie" Hill.

                                                Cheers

                                                Bob Smith