Re: How to get the films to play from redhotjazz.com??

  • Brad Bechtel
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 4, 2005
      > In a nutshell, how do I view these films for free?

      Downgrade to Windows 98 (or Mac System 8). The Vivo player was discontinued when Real
      bought Vivo back in the days of the dot-com boom. There's no way I've been able to find to
      convert these files to another format.

      Bummer.
    • Brad Bechtel
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 4, 2005
        Of course, after all that, I found the MPlayer application, which claims to be able to play .VIV
        files correctly. Here's the download page:
        http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html

        You'll probably need the additional codecs on that same page in order to see the movie
        correctly. On my Macintosh I see the movie but without sound, and it's pretty jerky.
      • Scott Alexander
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 4, 2005
          The films are broken at the moment. What format would people like to see
          for future movie files?

          Scott Alexander
          The Red Hot Jazz Archive
          www.redhotjazz.com

          scott_langholff wrote:

          >Hi
          >
          >I'd live to be able to view the films on redhotjazz.com. It talks
          >about the Vivoplayer which is no longer made and not compatible with
          >Windows XP. I click on the link for RealPlayer and download the free
          >version. How do I set it to play the films? I hope I don't have to
          >pay for the upgraded service to be able to see these.
          >
          >In a nutshell, how do I view these films for free?
          >
          >Thanx
          >Scott Langholff
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Robert Smith
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 4, 2005
            Hello Scott,

            I think the most universally available film player, although not the best, is the Windows Media Player. I think this is bundled with Windows XP, 2000, and 2003.
            The quality of the reproduction is mostly governed by the speed of the Internet connection, so I think the Windows Media Player is the best bet.

            Cheers

            Bob Smith

          • Scott Alexander
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 4, 2005
              How do you Mac and Linux people feel about wmv files? Can you play them?

              Scott Alexander
              The Red Hot Jazz Archive
              www.redhotjazz.com

              Robert Smith wrote:

              >Hello Scott,
              >
              >I think the most universally available film player, although not the best, is the Windows Media Player. I think this is bundled with Windows XP, 2000, and 2003.
              >The quality of the reproduction is mostly governed by the speed of the Internet connection, so I think the Windows Media Player is the best bet.
              >
              >Cheers
              >
              >Bob Smith

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Adriel
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 4, 2005
                Windows medial player seems to work ok. Mpeg works across platforms but, you
                have to deal with a bigger footprint.

                _Adriel

                > From: Scott Alexander <scott@...>
                > Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 13:41:38 -0700
                > To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: Re: [RedHotJazz] How to get the films to play from redhotjazz.com??
                >
                > How do you Mac and Linux people feel about wmv files? Can you play them?
                >
                > Scott Alexander
                > The Red Hot Jazz Archive
                > www.redhotjazz.com
                >

                > Robert Smith wrote:
                >
                >> Hello Scott,
                >>
                >> I think the most universally available film player, although not the best, is
                >> the Windows Media Player. I think this is bundled with Windows XP, 2000, and
                >> 2003.
                >> The quality of the reproduction is mostly governed by the speed of the
                >> Internet connection, so I think the Windows Media Player is the best bet.
                >>
                >> Cheers
                >>
                >> Bob Smith

                >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • tommersl
                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 4, 2005
                  As for Linux, some wmv file it plays and others not, at least thats
                  what my linux does. From my experience with Linux realplayer is more
                  stable.

                  tommersl

                  --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Scott Alexander <scott@t...> wrote:
                  > How do you Mac and Linux people feel about wmv files? Can you play them?
                  >
                  > Scott Alexander
                  > The Red Hot Jazz Archive
                  > www.redhotjazz.com
                  >

                  > Robert Smith wrote:
                  >
                  > >Hello Scott,
                  > >
                  > >I think the most universally available film player, although not
                  the best, is the Windows Media Player. I think this is bundled with
                  Windows XP, 2000, and 2003.
                  > >The quality of the reproduction is mostly governed by the speed of
                  the Internet connection, so I think the Windows Media Player is the
                  best bet.

                  > >Cheers
                  > >
                  > >Bob Smith

                  > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Hugh Crozier
                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 4, 2005
                    Footprint?

                    Adriel <azure.music@...> wrote:
                    Windows medial player seems to work ok. Mpeg works across platforms but, you
                    have to deal with a bigger footprint.

                    _Adriel

                    > From: Scott Alexander <scott@...>
                    > Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 13:41:38 -0700
                    > To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
                    > Subject: Re: [RedHotJazz] How to get the films to play from redhotjazz.com??
                    >
                    > How do you Mac and Linux people feel about wmv files? Can you play them?
                    >
                    > Scott Alexander
                    > The Red Hot Jazz Archive
                    > www.redhotjazz.com
                    >

                    > Robert Smith wrote:
                    >
                    >> Hello Scott,
                    >>
                    >> I think the most universally available film player, although not the best, is
                    >> the Windows Media Player. I think this is bundled with Windows XP, 2000, and
                    >> 2003.
                    >> The quality of the reproduction is mostly governed by the speed of the
                    >> Internet connection, so I think the Windows Media Player is the best bet.
                    >>
                    >> Cheers
                    >>
                    >> Bob Smith

                    >> Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Adriel
                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 4, 2005
                      File size :)

                      > From: Hugh Crozier <jellyrollstomp@...>
                      > Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 23:08:56 +0100 (BST)
                      > To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
                      > Subject: Re: [RedHotJazz] How to get the films to play from redhotjazz.com??
                      >
                      > Footprint?
                      >

                      > Adriel <azure.music@...> wrote:
                      > Windows medial player seems to work ok. Mpeg works across platforms but, you
                      > have to deal with a bigger footprint.
                      >
                      > _Adriel

                    • Hugh Crozier
                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 4, 2005
                        to be honest, I have had a problem with this too. Does anybody know a non-techie way of viewing these films? If I could download them to my hard drive I might be able to do something but I can't get anything like close enough to the files to do that. It is very frustrating because the Bessie short is a genuine classic!

                        Hugh

                        Adriel <azure.music@...> wrote:
                        File size :)

                        > From: Hugh Crozier <jellyrollstomp@...>
                        > Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 23:08:56 +0100 (BST)
                        > To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
                        > Subject: Re: [RedHotJazz] How to get the films to play from redhotjazz.com??
                        >
                        > Footprint?
                        >

                        > Adriel <azure.music@...> wrote:
                        > Windows medial player seems to work ok. Mpeg works across platforms but, you
                        > have to deal with a bigger footprint.
                        >
                        > _Adriel

                      • Scott Alexander
                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 4, 2005
                          I need some people to test these file formats:

                          Here are two identical clips of Paul Whiteman's Rhythm Boys from the
                          "King of Jazz" film. The first is in the Windows format the second is in
                          the Apple Quicktime format.
                          http://www.redhotjazz.com/movies/kj/kjrhythmboys.wmv (13 mb)
                          http://www.redhotjazz.com/movies/kj/kjrhythmboys.mov (8.4 mb)

                          Are these okay size wise for you folks? Too big? Too small?
                          Scott Alexander
                          The Red Hot Jazz Archive
                          www.redhotjazz.com

                          Brad Bechtel wrote:

                          >Of course, after all that, I found the MPlayer application, which claims to be able to play .VIV
                          >files correctly. Here's the download page:
                          >http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html
                          >
                          >You'll probably need the additional codecs on that same page in order to see the movie
                          >correctly. On my Macintosh I see the movie but without sound, and it's pretty jerky.
                          >

                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Arthur LA hOTE
                          Message 12 of 29 , Oct 4, 2005
                            Havae to say thank you SO MUCH, I actually saw the film "The King of Jazz" in the theater in Los Angeles in the 80's in the Museum (County) in a special they had at the time on "silents" and early sound. How wonderful that you were able to forward these clips on. Wish you would send all you can. Also let us know how you were able to capture them. Art LaHote

                            Brad Bechtel wrote:

                            >Of course, after all that, I found the MPlayer application, which claims to be able to play .VIV
                            >files correctly. Here's the download page:
                            >http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html
                            >
                            >You'll probably need the additional codecs on that same page in order to see the movie
                            >correctly. On my Macintosh I see the movie but without sound, and it's pretty jerky.
                            >

                            >Yahoo! Groups Links

                            Genres of music Jazz music Music genres

                            ---------------------------------

                          • Jeffrey Jastram
                            Message 13 of 29 , Oct 5, 2005
                              perfect fit for me: windows xp pro/ real player!

                              jeff, the new kid

                              [Ahem! Sorry for "editing" your first posting,
                              Jeff, 60 lines of quotes removed! ;)
                              - Patrice ]
                              Message 14 of 29 , Oct 5, 2005
                                Hello Scott

                                http://www.redhotjazz.com/movies/kj/kjrhythmboys.wmv (13 mb)
                                cannot stream properly with my basic DSL connection (too much to load into
                                memory, so it hangs a couple of times) but the picture is far better;
                                the most convenient way is to save the file and enjoy offline.

                                http://www.redhotjazz.com/movies/kj/kjrhythmboys.mov (8.4 mb)
                                works faster, but as everyone knows Quicktime is no real streaming either,
                                the 8,4 mb have to be downloaded to the "temporary internet files" (which
                                means that you can find the whole clip there after viewing, if you know
                                the path ;) and there's no way I know of to play it fullscreen. Maybe some
                                people with slow connections would prefer this... I wouldn't, I remember
                                waiting over ten minutes for files about this size when I had one,
                                and since I suppose you won't have tons of clips to offer I think it's
                                worth waiting a bit more to get a nicer picture.

                                I tried to encode the .wmv file with Realproducer (basic) this morning, to
                                see if an .ra file would do better, but for some reason it failed... maybe
                                someone with more experience could try.

                                Patrice
                              • Arthur LA hOTE
                                Message 15 of 29 , Oct 5, 2005
                                  Windows, or Realplayer for me . Art thanks Scott.

                                  Scott Alexander <scott@...> wrote:The films are broken at the moment. What format would people like to see
                                  for future movie files?

                                  Scott Alexander
                                  The Red Hot Jazz Archive
                                  www.redhotjazz.com

                                  scott_langholff wrote:

                                  >Hi
                                  >
                                  >I'd live to be able to view the films on redhotjazz.com. It talks
                                  >about the Vivoplayer which is no longer made and not compatible with
                                  >Windows XP. I click on the link for RealPlayer and download the free
                                  >version. How do I set it to play the films? I hope I don't have to
                                  >pay for the upgraded service to be able to see these.
                                  >
                                  >In a nutshell, how do I view these films for free?
                                  >
                                  >Thanx
                                  >Scott Langholff
                                  >

                                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  Jazz music Genres of music Music genres

                                  ---------------------------------

                                • Mordechai Litzman
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Oct 5, 2005
                                    Just downloaded the file to Windows mediaplayer, and it worked very well. In the past the VIVO system came with so many caveats that I was afraid to use it.

                                    Arthur LA hOTE <alahote@...> wrote:Windows, or Realplayer for me . Art thanks Scott.

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Oct 6, 2005
                                      Downloaded to Windows mediaplayer - it took a couple of minutes and everything works very well.

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Oct 6, 2005
                                        Hello Scott,

                                        I've just downloaded and played the Windows Media Player version of "The Rhythm Makers" film clip.
                                        The picture was good even at full screen size, i.e. no "digital effects", and the sound was as good as could be expected from a film of this age.
                                        I look forward to viewing other film clips - keep up the good work.

                                        Cheers

                                        Bob Smith

                                      • Hugh Crozier

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Oct 6, 2005
                                            Hugh,
                                            I'm redoing them both, but here is a low res version of St. Louis Blues:
                                            http://www.redhotjazz.com/movies/stlouisblues.wmv

                                            I this I compressed this too much...
                                            Scott Alexander
                                            The Red Hot Jazz Archive
                                            www.redhotjazz.com

                                            Hugh Crozier wrote:

                                            >Yes - I have no problem with the Rhythm Boys clip. It is excellent!
                                            >
                                            >But I would really like to see the Bessie St Louis Blues and the Duke clips again. can someone tell me jhow to view the Red Hot jazz Archive files in Windows Media Player or any other modern video viewer?
                                            >
                                            >Hugh crozier
                                            >
                                            >Robert Smith <robert.smith@...> wrote:
                                            >Hello Scott,
                                            >
                                            >I've just downloaded and played the Windows Media Player version of "The Rhythm Makers" film clip.
                                            >The picture was good even at full screen size, i.e. no "digital effects", and the sound was as good as could be expected from a film of this age.
                                            >I look forward to viewing other film clips - keep up the good work.
                                            >
                                            >Cheers
                                            >
                                            >Bob Smith

                                            >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          • scott_langholff
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Oct 6, 2005
                                              Hi Scott

                                              I take it you are the one that has the Red Hot Jazz site with all
                                              the recordings. Great job by the way. I love that kind of music.
                                              My first love, and always will be. Thank goodness you've got this
                                              out there.

                                              I just watched Bing and the boys. The Windows media player had a
                                              noticibly better picture. At first I thought I might be favoring
                                              that format because that's the one I prefer. So I watched them
                                              again. It became very apparent that the windows version does look
                                              better. you can especially tell it when the piano player gets a
                                              close up when he's singing toward the early part of the film. The
                                              other version (quick time?) has all kinds of funny stuff happening
                                              in the white background wall. Squiggly lines moving around. That
                                              didn't happen in the windows version. I also found it very easy to
                                              figure out how to enlarge the windows version screen on the spot. I
                                              never did figure out how to make the quick time version change size.

                                              Other than that, it would seem that the windows version would be the
                                              most prevelant out there.

                                              Also, for the heck of it, I thought as a way of introducing myself
                                              as the new kid on the block, I'd include a link to my web site. I
                                              play arranger keyboard. It sounds like a band. Hope you enjoy.
                                              I've played trumpet, sax, drums and keys in dixie and swing bands
                                              among other styles. If you're an acoustic purist like I used to
                                              be...........you still may enjoy it.haha

                                              http://scottlmusic.com/Listen.html

                                              Best

                                              Scott Langholff

                                              wrote:

                                              > I need some people to test these file formats:
                                              >
                                              > Here are two identical clips of Paul Whiteman's Rhythm Boys from
                                              the
                                              > "King of Jazz" film. The first is in the Windows format the second
                                              is in
                                              > the Apple Quicktime format.
                                              > http://www.redhotjazz.com/movies/kj/kjrhythmboys.wmv (13 mb)
                                              > http://www.redhotjazz.com/movies/kj/kjrhythmboys.mov (8.4 mb)
                                              >
                                              > Are these okay size wise for you folks? Too big? Too small?
                                              > Scott Alexander
                                              > The Red Hot Jazz Archive
                                              > www.redhotjazz.com
                                              >

                                              > Brad Bechtel wrote:
                                              >
                                              > >Of course, after all that, I found the MPlayer application, which
                                              claims to be able to play .VIV
                                              > >files correctly. Here's the download page:
                                              > >http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html
                                              > >
                                              > >You'll probably need the additional codecs on that same page in
                                              order to see the movie
                                              > >correctly. On my Macintosh I see the movie but without sound,
                                              and it's pretty jerky.

                                              > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                            • Jeffrey Jastram
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Oct 7, 2005
                                                Yes, Scott and Hugh, this is VERY low res: faces can't be distinguished and movement is jerky, at best. Sound is pretty good, though. I have several of Ms. Smith's records but not this one so I'd love to see and hear this version clearly. let me know when it's improved.

                                                Jeff (The New Kid).

                                                Hugh Crozier wrote:

                                                >Yes - I have no problem with the Rhythm Boys clip. It is excellent!
                                                >
                                                >But I would really like to see the Bessie St Louis Blues and the Duke clips again. can someone tell me jhow to view the Red Hot jazz Archive files in Windows Media Player or any other modern video viewer?
                                                >
                                                >Hugh crozier
                                                >
                                                >Robert Smith <robert.smith@...> wrote:
                                                >Hello Scott,
                                                >
                                                >I've just downloaded and played the Windows Media Player version of "The Rhythm Makers" film clip.
                                                >The picture was good even at full screen size, i.e. no "digital effects", and the sound was as good as could be expected from a film of this age.
                                                >I look forward to viewing other film clips - keep up the good work.
                                                >
                                                >Cheers
                                                >
                                                >Bob Smith

                                                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                              • Jeffrey Jastram
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Oct 7, 2005
                                                  Scott Langholff:

                                                  You can't be the "New Kid ...", I'm "The New Kid"!!!

                                                  Just kidding, of course.

                                                  Your enthusiasm is most welcome!

                                                  Jeff ("The New Kid")

                                                  wrote:

                                                  > I need some people to test these file formats:
                                                  >
                                                  > Here are two identical clips of Paul Whiteman's Rhythm Boys from
                                                  the
                                                  > "King of Jazz" film. The first is in the Windows format the second
                                                  is in
                                                  > the Apple Quicktime format.
                                                  > http://www.redhotjazz.com/movies/kj/kjrhythmboys.wmv (13 mb)
                                                  > http://www.redhotjazz.com/movies/kj/kjrhythmboys.mov (8.4 mb)
                                                  >
                                                  > Are these okay size wise for you folks? Too big? Too small?
                                                  > Scott Alexander
                                                  > The Red Hot Jazz Archive
                                                  > www.redhotjazz.com
                                                  >

                                                  > Brad Bechtel wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  > >Of course, after all that, I found the MPlayer application, which
                                                  claims to be able to play .VIV
                                                  > >files correctly. Here's the download page:
                                                  > >http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html
                                                  > >
                                                  > >You'll probably need the additional codecs on that same page in
                                                  order to see the movie
                                                  > >correctly. On my Macintosh I see the movie but without sound,
                                                  and it's pretty jerky.

                                                  > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Oct 7, 2005
                                                    If you want it for keeps, the entire film is available with other very worthy stuff on a Shanachie DVD in very good quality. The title of the compilation is "At the Jazz Band Ball" and it also includes clips by Bix Beiderbecke with the Whitemen Orchestra (actually silent, but with music from a disc), Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, the Boswell Sisters etc. I'm sure there's something there for everyone.

                                                    By the way, I have a VHS version, so I can't comment on the quality of the DVD, but knowing Shanachie it should be good.

                                                    > Yes, Scott and Hugh, this is VERY low res: faces can't be distinguished and movement is jerky, at best. Sound is pretty good, though. I have several of Ms. Smith's records but not this one so I'd love to see and hear this version clearly. let me know when it's improved.
                                                    >
                                                    > Jeff (The New Kid).

                                                    Erweitern Sie FreeMail zu einem noch leistungsstarkeren E-Mail-Postfach!
                                                  • Hugh Crozier
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Oct 7, 2005
                                                      Interesting. I have a feeling that Riverside issued the sound track of this short in the 1960s because they couldn't get any other Bessie sides to issue. Does anybody else recall this?

                                                      Hugh

                                                      Hugh Crozier wrote:

                                                      >Yes - I have no problem with the Rhythm Boys clip. It is excellent!
                                                      >
                                                      >But I would really like to see the Bessie St Louis Blues and the Duke clips again. can someone tell me jhow to view the Red Hot jazz Archive files in Windows Media Player or any other modern video viewer?
                                                      >
                                                      >Hugh crozier
                                                      >
                                                      >Robert Smith <robert.smith@...> wrote:
                                                      >Hello Scott,
                                                      >
                                                      >I've just downloaded and played the Windows Media Player version of "The Rhythm Makers" film clip.
                                                      >The picture was good even at full screen size, i.e. no "digital effects", and the sound was as good as could be expected from a film of this age.
                                                      >I look forward to viewing other film clips - keep up the good work.
                                                      >
                                                      >Cheers
                                                      >
                                                      >Bob Smith

                                                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                                      Genres of music Jazz music Music genres

                                                    • spacelights
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Oct 7, 2005
                                                        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Hugh Crozier <jellyrollstomp@y...>
                                                        wrote:

                                                        > Interesting. I have a feeling that Riverside issued the sound track of this
                                                        short in the 1960s because they couldn't get any other Bessie sides to issue.
                                                        Does anybody else recall this?

                                                        > Hugh

                                                        Hi--

                                                        I don't know about Riverside; Biograph put it out on LP ('Bessie Smith, Louis
                                                        Armstrong, Cab Calloway,' BLP-M-3) in 1978. It's also on the Frog CD 'The
                                                        Complete Recordings - Volume 7' and an earlier Columbia CD box...

                                                        John
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Oct 7, 2005
                                                          on 7/10/05 21:38, Hugh Crozier at jellyrollstomp@... wrote:

                                                          > Interesting. I have a feeling that Riverside issued the sound track of this
                                                          > short in the 1960s because they couldn't get any other Bessie sides to issue.
                                                          > Does anybody else recall this?

                                                          Yes. I think they copied the Circle 78s rather than going back to the film
                                                          soundtrack though. There are at least 4 LP issues of the complete
                                                          soundtrack, and several CDs.

                                                          You can hear the whole film dubbed by John R.T. on Vol. 7 of Frog's Bessie
                                                          Smith series (DGF46). Accept no substitutes.

                                                        • Robert Smith
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Oct 8, 2005
                                                            Hello Hugh,

                                                            You are right. The Riverside LP was in the 'Jazz Archives Series' entitled "Great Blues Singers" on RLP 12-121. The original Paramount issues were remastered (by Reeves Sound Studios) in 1957 for reissue on this LP. The other artists were: Ma Rainey, Ida Cox, Sara Martin, Trixie Smith, Mary Johnson, Hociel Thomas, and Bertha "Chippie" Hill.

                                                            Cheers

                                                            Bob Smith