Re: [RedHotJazz] Buster Bailey 1925

    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 1, 2005
      on 1/10/05 12:13, Michael Rader at Rader.Michael@... wrote:

      > Sorry about the delay in replying to this, but I've been in Seville for most
      > of the week on business.
      >
      > David French sent me a cassette dub of his own copy of this, which was quite
      > decent, although by no means pristine. Both sides are completely devoid of
      > echo.
      >
      > It's difficult to believe that Historical would have added echo, since this
      > wasn't in their standard bag of tricks.

      Granted, but if not Historical then whom, because there is no other issue
      that I know of!

    • spacelights
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 1, 2005

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Howard Rye <howard@c...> wrote:

        > Granted, but if not Historical then whom, because there is no other issue
        > that I know of!

        Hearing Bailey's "Squeeze Me" (1925) on the Classics CD, I thought it may
        have been a "fake stereo" issue converted back to mono. Perhaps Herwin
        (US) issued the track on LP? I think they dabbled a bit in fake stereo...
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 1, 2005
          No, Howard is right: there is no other LP issue before or after the Historical, which predated Herwin by quite a few years. Many reissues with reverb added came from Germany in the 1960s, but as far as I know there was none of "Squeeze Me" by Bailey. Maybe the producers didn't have access to an original pressing and only had a dubbing with echo added by the owner of the original.

          > > on 1/10/05 12:13, Michael Rader at Rader.Michael@w... wrote:
          > > >
          > > > It's difficult to believe that Historical would have added echo, since this
          > > > wasn't in their standard bag of tricks.
          >
          > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Howard Rye <howard@c...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Granted, but if not Historical then whom, because there is no other issue
          > > that I know of!
          >
          > Hearing Bailey's "Squeeze Me" (1925) on the Classics CD, I thought it may
          > have been a "fake stereo" issue converted back to mono. Perhaps Herwin
          > (US) issued the track on LP? I think they dabbled a bit in fake stereo...

        • jazzguy1927
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 1, 2005
            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@w...>
            wrote: No, Howard is right: there is no other LP issue before or after
            the Historical, which predated Herwin by quite a few years.>

            I have the Historical lp # 25 also but it only has the one side from
            the session which is Squeeze Me.What about the other side from the
            session which was Papa De Da Da?I don't have that on any lp or cd.Was
            that side ever reissued?
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 2, 2005
              I think it has been mentioned before, but both 1925 tracks are on the Classics CD devoted to Bailey. Squeeze me was very obviously from the Historical LP, so there was specualtion on the origin of the other track.

              > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@w...>
              > wrote: No, Howard is right: there is no other LP issue before or after
              > the Historical, which predated Herwin by quite a few years.>
              >
              > I have the Historical lp # 25 also but it only has the one side from
              > the session which is Squeeze Me.What about the other side from the
              > session which was Papa De Da Da?I don't have that on any lp or cd.Was
              > that side ever reissued?

              Erweitern Sie FreeMail zu einem noch leistungsstarkeren E-Mail-Postfach!