Re: [RedHotJazz] I notice there are film exerpts on the Fats Centenial cd& DVD- Which films?

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
      on 1/10/05 0:43, jazzguy1927 at jazzguy1927@... wrote:

      > Greetings. I saw a cd with a bonus DVD called the Centenial Fats Waller
      > collection.I looked at the audio tracks and i think i have all of them
      > including the radio broadcast on an older lp.I noticed the set came
      > with a bonus DVD but did not list specific film clips.I noticed there
      > were some soundies which i think i already have on a VHS tape.

      It would possibly be easier to answer this question if you gave us the label
      and issue number of the CD.

      > What films are there exerpts of?I have Stormy Weather complete on VHS.I
      > was hoping someone who already purchased the set could tell me if there
      > is any exerpt from the film: "King of Burlesque" from the mid 1930's
      > that starred Alice Faye in one of her early films.I have never seen
      > this film and i thought it would be nice if the DVD with this set had a
      > performance exerpt of Fats from that film.

      The only video issue of King of Burlesque that I know of is on Fats Waller
      and Friends Milan Jazz 74321-15314-3, a French issue, but you'll need a
      player capable of playing European PAL and/or SECAM tapes to use it even if
      you can find it. I expect it's deleted, but entering the title in the FNAC
      website would soon clarify this. It's a delightful performance with the
      diminutive Dixie Dunbar capering around a mob of chorus boys. As she is
      on-stage with Waller, the sequence must have been cut for Southern
      distribution, so prints probably exist without the Waller sequence.