I notice there are film exerpts on the Fats Centenial cd& DVD- Which films?

  • jazzguy1927
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2005
      ***MODERATION*** PLEASE MAKE SHORTER SUBJECT LINES!

      <--- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Arthur LA hOTE <alahote@y...> wrote:
      Welcome, Tim and I am sure your will be a great asset to the group.
      Fat's did a lot for the introduction of many arrangements and popular
      songs he also helped make the "black" artists acceptable to the
      masses. I am glad to hear that there is a younger generation that
      likes "real" music. I get mine all day on www.radiodismuck.com -
      enjoy yourself. Art P.S. I assume you know he got his start on the
      organ playing for "silents" - which never really were.>

      Greetings. I saw a cd with a bonus DVD called the Centenial Fats Waller
      collection.I looked at the audio tracks and i think i have all of them
      including the radio broadcast on an older lp.I noticed the set came
      with a bonus DVD but did not list specific film clips.I noticed there
      were some soundies which i think i already have on a VHS tape.

      What films are there exerpts of?I have Stormy Weather complete on VHS.I
      was hoping someone who already purchased the set could tell me if there
      is any exerpt from the film: "King of Burlesque" from the mid 1930's
      that starred Alice Faye in one of her early films.I have never seen
      this film and i thought it would be nice if the DVD with this set had a
      performance exerpt of Fats from that film.
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30, 2005
        Shall I say "welcome back, Linda" ? :-/

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
          on 1/10/05 0:43, jazzguy1927 at jazzguy1927@... wrote:

          > Greetings. I saw a cd with a bonus DVD called the Centenial Fats Waller
          > collection.I looked at the audio tracks and i think i have all of them
          > including the radio broadcast on an older lp.I noticed the set came
          > with a bonus DVD but did not list specific film clips.I noticed there
          > were some soundies which i think i already have on a VHS tape.

          It would possibly be easier to answer this question if you gave us the label
          and issue number of the CD.

          > What films are there exerpts of?I have Stormy Weather complete on VHS.I
          > was hoping someone who already purchased the set could tell me if there
          > is any exerpt from the film: "King of Burlesque" from the mid 1930's
          > that starred Alice Faye in one of her early films.I have never seen
          > this film and i thought it would be nice if the DVD with this set had a
          > performance exerpt of Fats from that film.

          The only video issue of King of Burlesque that I know of is on Fats Waller
          and Friends Milan Jazz 74321-15314-3, a French issue, but you'll need a
          player capable of playing European PAL and/or SECAM tapes to use it even if
          you can find it. I expect it's deleted, but entering the title in the FNAC
          website would soon clarify this. It's a delightful performance with the
          diminutive Dixie Dunbar capering around a mob of chorus boys. As she is
          on-stage with Waller, the sequence must have been cut for Southern
          distribution, so prints probably exist without the Waller sequence.