My introduction

  • jazzguy1927
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2005
      My name is Tim and i enjoy all early jazz.I had a jazz radio program
      from 1980 to 1985 on KCSN - the college radio station of a local
      college.My collection is 78's,lp's and cd's.I also was an early
      subscriber to Storyville magazine from England and bought many of their
      limited edition lp's on the Audubon and Ristic labels.
      My interest in jazz was recently renewed by the Rounder Records box set
      of the Jelly Roll Morton Library of Congress recordings.I had these on
      Riverside, Classic Jazz Masters and Swaggie lp sets but this new box
      set includes recordings made in December, 1938 which had never been
      released on the 1st Circle 78 album issues or subsequent lp's.
    • Arthur LA hOTE
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30, 2005
        Welcome, Tim and I am sure your will be a great asset to the group. Fat's did a lot for the introduction of many arrangements and popular songs he also helped make the "black" artists acceptable to the masses. I am glad to hear that there is a younger generation that likes "real" music. I get mine all day on www.radiodismuck.com - enjoy yourself. Art P.S. I assume you know he got his start on the organ playing for "silents" - which never really were.

        jazzguy1927 <jazzguy1927@...> wrote:My name is Tim and i enjoy all early jazz.I had a jazz radio program
        from 1980 to 1985 on KCSN - the college radio station of a local
        college.My collection is 78's,lp's and cd's.I also was an early
        subscriber to Storyville magazine from England and bought many of their
        limited edition lp's on the Audubon and Ristic labels.
        My interest in jazz was recently renewed by the Rounder Records box set
        of the Jelly Roll Morton Library of Congress recordings.I had these on
        Riverside, Classic Jazz Masters and Swaggie lp sets but this new box
        set includes recordings made in December, 1938 which had never been
        released on the 1st Circle 78 album issues or subsequent lp's.

        Genres of music Jazz music Music genres

        ---------------------------------

      • jazzguy1927
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30, 2005
          ***MODERATION*** PLEASE MAKE SHORTER SUBJECT LINES!

          <--- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Arthur LA hOTE <alahote@y...> wrote:
          Welcome, Tim and I am sure your will be a great asset to the group.
          Fat's did a lot for the introduction of many arrangements and popular
          songs he also helped make the "black" artists acceptable to the
          masses. I am glad to hear that there is a younger generation that
          likes "real" music. I get mine all day on www.radiodismuck.com -
          enjoy yourself. Art P.S. I assume you know he got his start on the
          organ playing for "silents" - which never really were.>

          Greetings. I saw a cd with a bonus DVD called the Centenial Fats Waller
          collection.I looked at the audio tracks and i think i have all of them
          including the radio broadcast on an older lp.I noticed the set came
          with a bonus DVD but did not list specific film clips.I noticed there
          were some soundies which i think i already have on a VHS tape.

          What films are there exerpts of?I have Stormy Weather complete on VHS.I
          was hoping someone who already purchased the set could tell me if there
          is any exerpt from the film: "King of Burlesque" from the mid 1930's
          that starred Alice Faye in one of her early films.I have never seen
          this film and i thought it would be nice if the DVD with this set had a
          performance exerpt of Fats from that film.
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 30, 2005
            Shall I say "welcome back, Linda" ? :-/

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
              on 1/10/05 0:43, jazzguy1927 at jazzguy1927@... wrote:

              > Greetings. I saw a cd with a bonus DVD called the Centenial Fats Waller
              > collection.I looked at the audio tracks and i think i have all of them
              > including the radio broadcast on an older lp.I noticed the set came
              > with a bonus DVD but did not list specific film clips.I noticed there
              > were some soundies which i think i already have on a VHS tape.

              It would possibly be easier to answer this question if you gave us the label
              and issue number of the CD.

              > What films are there exerpts of?I have Stormy Weather complete on VHS.I
              > was hoping someone who already purchased the set could tell me if there
              > is any exerpt from the film: "King of Burlesque" from the mid 1930's
              > that starred Alice Faye in one of her early films.I have never seen
              > this film and i thought it would be nice if the DVD with this set had a
              > performance exerpt of Fats from that film.

              The only video issue of King of Burlesque that I know of is on Fats Waller
              and Friends Milan Jazz 74321-15314-3, a French issue, but you'll need a
              player capable of playing European PAL and/or SECAM tapes to use it even if
              you can find it. I expect it's deleted, but entering the title in the FNAC
              website would soon clarify this. It's a delightful performance with the
              diminutive Dixie Dunbar capering around a mob of chorus boys. As she is
              on-stage with Waller, the sequence must have been cut for Southern
              distribution, so prints probably exist without the Waller sequence.