Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: (no connection with) Tape Recordings

  • Arthur LA hOTE
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 27, 2005
      I was always told that the word meant a business owner or business manager. Guess I am the wrong generation. My dictionary agrees with this, however. Art LaHote

      Mordechai Litzman <folke613@...> wrote:OK - back to the serious business of identifying obscure musicians and recordings and the like:
      In my youth I bought a 4 LP set on Parlophone with most of the Hot Five And Hot Seven recordings with Louis Armstrong. I listened so much to them that I couldn't listen to them again for years. At the 100Th anniversary of the birth of Louis (at least one of them) I again bought a 4 CD set remastered by JRT Davis. When playing Big Fat Ma and Skinny Pa I heard some high-pitched noises at the beginning of the recording that I first thought were an artifact. After extensive listening and comparing to my old copies I determined that somebody whistled thrice at the beginning of the recording, (or perhaps somebody tried out a slide-whistle). Apparently this important part of the recording was edited out on the other re-issues. Now, who is responsible for these sound effects? Was this whistling a way to alert the dancers?
      As always, I know that I can rely on the knowledgeable members of the group to come up with (tongue in cheek) answers. Lurkers welcome!

      Robert Smith <robert.smith@...> wrote:
      Patrice asked:
      <<
      Isn't there an American word for "entrepreneur"? ;) - sorry, I just *had*
      to...

      An entrepreneur is one who undertakes, so the American word is "undertaker". (:])
      Or if you're not quite happy with that, then you can choose from:
      'a risk-taking manager or owner of a business enterprise'
      or
      'a commercial intermediary'
      or, simply
      'a middleman'