Frank Robinson

  • Prof_Hi_Jinx
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 26, 2005
      One Frank Robinson is shown as a member of the Seven Gallon Jug Band in 1929/1930.

      It was assumed that the name was an error for Banjo Ikey Robinson.

      However, I came across a Frank Robinson, "Musician, Vaudeville" in Chicago at the time of the 1920 Census.

      Maybe Frank Robinson of the Jug Band is the same person. Of course, we don't know what instrument(s) the vaudeville musician played.

      Bob

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 27, 2005
        on 27/9/05 1:47, Prof_Hi_Jinx at prof_hi_jinx@... wrote:

        > One Frank Robinson is shown as a member of the Seven Gallon Jug Band in
        > 1929/1930.
        >
        > It was assumed that the name was an error for Banjo Ikey Robinson.

        Really, Bob? By whom? It is certainly not assumed by either B&GR or Rust's
        Jazz Records, both of which list him as a separate musician.

        In fact it was Ikey who suggested (Storyville 21) that the bass sax might be
        Frank Robinson, responding to the suggestion by Clarence Williams himself
        that Ikey might be playing banjo on the records. This is easy to disprove
        because there is no banjo present, so the original suggestion was a pure
        invention. Clarence was presumably recalling the date unheard after 20
        years.

        IF this is all the evidence for Frank Robinson on bass sax and harmonica -
        he can not be playing both the tin-whistle and the bass sax as Rust suggests
        - and I suspect that it is, it is pretty tenuous.

        > However, I came across a Frank Robinson, "Musician, Vaudeville" in Chicago at
        > the time of the 1920 Census.
        >
        > Maybe Frank Robinson of the Jug Band is the same person. Of course, we don't
        > know what instrument(s) the vaudeville musician played.

        This guy seems quite a good suggestion for the Frank Robinson Ikey
        undoubtedly remembered.

      • Prof_Hi_Jinx
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 27, 2005
          That's the trouble with bordering on ancient - my edition of Rust's "Jazz
          Records 1897-1931" is the 2nd edition, issued 1962, in which the personnel
          includes "? Ikey Robinson", while I've seen Frank listed elsewhere.

          Presumably that edition came out after Williams was interviewed but before
          Ikey's comment.

          The partial personnel suggested for the Seven Gallon Jug Band consists of
          New York-based musicians, so "our" Frank Robinson would presumably have had
          to move from Chicago to New York in order to be involved in the session.
          That's not impossible, but equally it can't be assumed.

          Bob