wilbur sweatman

  • Gerard J. Fitzpatrick
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 22, 2005
      Can anyone comment on the quality of the remastering on the recent
      releases of Wilbur Sweatman material by Jazz Oracle and Archeophone,
      (specifically the Columbia recordings that both collections contain)?

      I'm fully familiar with Davies' work for Jazz Oracle, but I don't
      know
      anything about the work done at Archeophone. Thank you.

      Gerard
    • Arthur LA hOTE
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 22, 2005
        I checked as much as I could for this artist and he recorded up until the 1950's and started way back in the early 1900's his early recordings might have been done under this name for Metropolitan Music. ????? The name Archeophone does not appear in listings. I am not familiar enough with recording companies to know this name. I think so many were fly by nighters and were absorbed by big companies like Columbia and Victor. Sorry, Art He had to be good though to record for old Thomas Edison who was very strict in his taste. Good luck in your search.

        "Gerard J. Fitzpatrick" <gfitzpatrick@...> wrote:Can anyone comment on the quality of the remastering on the recent
        releases of Wilbur Sweatman material by Jazz Oracle and Archeophone,
        (specifically the Columbia recordings that both collections contain)?

        I'm fully familiar with Davies' work for Jazz Oracle, but I don't
        know
        anything about the work done at Archeophone. Thank you.

        Gerard

        Genres of music Jazz music Music genres

      • Albert Haim
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 22, 2005
          Hello,

          Archeophone is a highly reputable, small company. They are concerned
          about the qualiy of their products in all aspects: sound,
          presentation, research for the liners. The company was started in
          1998, and has issued, so far, 28 CDs, or about four per year. A modest
          output, but they emphasize quality rather than quantity.

          Take a look at their website
          http://archeophone.com
          and you will realize how much care they take in everything they do. I
          have purchased about a dozen of Archeophone's CDs, and am very
          satisfied with the products.

          The Best

          Albert
          http://bixbeiderbecke.com

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Gerard J. Fitzpatrick"
          <gfitzpatrick@u...> wrote:
          > Can anyone comment on the quality of the remastering on the recent
          > releases of Wilbur Sweatman material by Jazz Oracle and
          Archeophone,
          > (specifically the Columbia recordings that both collections
          contain)?

          > I'm fully familiar with Davies' work for Jazz Oracle, but I don't
          > know
          > anything about the work done at Archeophone. Thank you.
          >
          > Gerard
        • Arthur LA hOTE
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 22, 2005
            Thanks to you Albert glad to get the site and the info. too. Live and learn ........ Art

            Albert Haim <alberthaim@...> wrote:Hello,

            <gfitzpatrick@u...> wrote:
            > Can anyone comment on the quality of the remastering on the recent
            > releases of Wilbur Sweatman material by Jazz Oracle and
            Archeophone,
            > (specifically the Columbia recordings that both collections
            contain)?

            > I'm fully familiar with Davies' work for Jazz Oracle, but I don't
            > know
            > anything about the work done at Archeophone. Thank you.
            >
            > Gerard

            Jazz music Genres of music Music genres

          • Bryan Wright
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 22, 2005
              Hi, Gerard.

              I've got the Wilbur Sweatman Archeophone disc, but not the Jazz Oracle,
              so I can't compare the two. However, the Archeophone sounds quite good.
              Of course, all of the recordings were made acoustically in the late
              1910s and early 1920s so the range is quite limited, but the
              Archeophone disc sounds as "natural" as possible, with no digital
              artifacts, loud hiss, or other problems sometimes associated with CD
              reissues of vintage material. The Archeophone also contains a very good
              booklet with some nice photos and plenty of liner notes (I'm sure the
              Jazz Oracle does too). I have plenty of other Jazz Oracle CDs and I
              have always been pleased with them, so I'm sure that you can't go wrong
              with either set. I guess it depends on how much Sweatman you want (1 CD
              on Archeophone opposed to 2 CDs in the JO set).

              Bryan W.
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 22, 2005
                As Bryan Wright has pointed out, the transfers on the Archeophone are very good quality. Some of the early issues by the company did have digital artefects, but they have learned and even upgraded existing issues (and booklets), offerig them at a special price to people who have already bought them

                The main differences are the liner notes, which are again very good in both cases, and the additional material on the Jazz Oracle, which both predates and postdates the music contained on the Archeophone. If you only want the 1918-20 sides, the Archeophone will do, but the additional material on the Jazz Oracle is well worth the additional expenditure: the Gennet "Battleship Kate" (a track reputed at one time to include both Freddie Keppard and Duke Ellington) and the 1935 sides, for instance (listen to these on RHJ, if you're not sure). The even earlier sides are of interest since they have been suggested as being the very earliest examples of jazz clarinet playing (they were discussed on this list, so you can check). Be sure to pick up a copy of the *correct, second* pressing however, which has real alternates of the first two recordings (the first had slightly different transfers of the same takes). The easiest way of recognising the second pressing is that the inlay in the CD tray has the dates 1916-1935, the first pressing had 1926-1935.

                Kind regards,

                Mit der Gruppen-SMS von WEB.DE FreeMail k├Ânnen Sie eine SMS an alle
              • Gerard J. Fitzpatrick
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 23, 2005
                  My thanks to the list members who offered their insights on the recent
                  Sweatman releases. I've been convinced to go with the Jazz Oracle
                  release.

                  Gerard