Finally found Cd of Paragon Ragtime Orchestra

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3 1:43 PM
      I remember a poster at the group some time ago saying they bought a cd
      by the Paragon Ragtime Orchestra and enjoyed it and someone else
      mentioned the cd's were kind of pricey at $17.I sure can't afford $17
      for Cd's but i go to a used cd store occasionally that has used cd's in
      large bins for $2 each.I kpet searching and today i found one- Paragon
      Ragtime Orchestra cd of Black Manhattan-Theater and Dance Music of
      James Reese Europe,Will Marion Cook and members of the legendary Clef
      Club.I can say it was worth looking for- The band plays very spirited
      orchestral ragtime in the style of the time.The most interesting tune
      which i had never heard before was "Sambo:A Characteristic Two Step
      March" a composition by William Tyers who composed Panama.Also
      interesting was the tune Cocoanut Grove Jazz composed in 1917.It is a
      tune with the word jazz from 1917 i had never heard before.
      I can say i highly recommend the authentic playing of the Paragon
      Ragtime Orchestra. The cd is definitely worth $2 if you can find it
      used.
      The best re creation band i have ever heard is Dan Levinson's Roof
      Garden Jass Band Salutes The ODJB on some cd label called Loup-Garous.