Waller and/or Johnson...?

  • spacelights
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2005
      On Perry Bradford's session with Louis Armstrong (2 November, 1925),
      discographies (and Maurice Waller's book) initially identified Fats Waller and
      James P. Johnson, then later Fats *or* James P. Now most agree on just
      James P. (hey, that rhymes). Listening closely to these low-fidelity sides, it
      seems the early identification of both artists may be correct, though only one
      piano is audible. On "Lucy Long" it does sound distinctly like Johnson, but on "I
      Ain't Gonna Play No Second Fiddle" I think I might hear Waller's famous hard-
      stomping, deep-in-the-keys left hand (though the sound is indistinct). It's
      especially intriguing because Waller seems to have made no (other?) records
      in 1925. Any opinions on this...?
    • Robert Smith
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2005
        Hello Spacelights

        The "Storyville Team" list seven records that Fats Waller made in 1925 accompanying Alberta Hunter, Anna Jones, and Hazel Meyers, but the Perry Bradford Jazz Phools' tracks with Louis Armstrong are not mentioned.
        The Dave Carey/Albert McCarthy/Ralph Venables "Jazz Directory" (published July, 1949) states that the pianist on the November 2, 1925 session is James P. Johnson, and is probably the pianist on the October 7, 1925 session.

        Cheers

        Bob Smith

      • spacelights
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 2005
          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Smith" <robert.smith@m...>
          wrote:
          > Hello Spacelights
          >
          > The "Storyville Team" list seven records that Fats Waller made in 1925
          accompanying Alberta Hunter, Anna Jones, and Hazel Meyers, but the Perry
          Bradford Jazz Phools' tracks with Louis Armstrong are not mentioned.

          Hi Bob,

          Thanks for the input; my sources (including Laurie and the "Team") list these
          dates:

          acc. Alberta Hunter c. July 1923
          acc. Anna Jones c. July 1923
          acc. Hazel Meyers 5 August 1924

          After the Hazel Meyers date, Fats seems to have made no records for a year
          and a half. Part of the confusion regarding the Bradford personnel on 2
          November, 1925 might come from the rejected October session you
          mentioned, which featured the same two songs. Also, Armstrong really
          dominates the November date; it was to be his last in New York for a while, and
          I guess he knew it (he was back in Chicago, recording, a week later)...

          John