Re: [RedHotJazz] Fats Domino

  • Joel Fritz
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2005
      Prof_Hi_Jinx wrote:

      >Why would a man whose repertoire includes The Fat Man (a variant of Dupree's
      >"Junker's Blues") and "Eh La Bas", and work (in the early days at least)
      >with a band of the stature of Dave Bartholomew's, not be *jazz oriented*,
      >and New Orleans jazz oriented at that?
      >
      >Just a peeve at too much categorisation - I'm relieved like everyone else
      >that people like Fats, Irma Thomas and Allen Toussaint have been found alive
      >and well.
      >
      >Bob

      Thanks, Bob. I just got hold of a collection of his pre "Blueberry
      Hill" recordings. It opened my eyes. He is a fine piano player who's
      not limited to the simple 12/8 pumping that was on a lot of his hit
      records. He's not a one dimensional singer either. He got typecast and
      made all the money he could from it. Ain't that a shame. He's a real
      musician in the New Orleans tradition of ignoring categories.
    • Hugh Crozier
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3, 2005
        I agree with the comments about Fats Domino's status. Yes, he was typecast (and made money out of - why not?) as a rock 'n' roll star in the 50s and early 60s but in those days the distinctions were not quite as marked as they later became. And didn't Louis Armstrong introduce him in glowing terms at the Newport Jazz Festival sometime in the early 50s?

        I haven't heard much of his piano playing other than the 12/8 stuff (later called rock 'n' roll triplets) apart from The Fat Man but his blues singing and the power of his bands (with arrangements often by Dave Bartholemew) are enough to warrant his status.

        I saw on Yahoo yesterday that he is 77. Time flies ... Louis introduced him as 'this young man'.

        Hugh

        Joel Fritz <lc_calamese@...> wrote:
        Prof_Hi_Jinx wrote:

        >Why would a man whose repertoire includes The Fat Man (a variant of Dupree's
        >"Junker's Blues") and "Eh La Bas", and work (in the early days at least)
        >with a band of the stature of Dave Bartholomew's, not be *jazz oriented*,
        >and New Orleans jazz oriented at that?
        >
        >Just a peeve at too much categorisation - I'm relieved like everyone else
        >that people like Fats, Irma Thomas and Allen Toussaint have been found alive
        >and well.
        >
        >Bob

        Thanks, Bob. I just got hold of a collection of his pre "Blueberry
        Hill" recordings. It opened my eyes. He is a fine piano player who's
        not limited to the simple 12/8 pumping that was on a lot of his hit
        records. He's not a one dimensional singer either. He got typecast and
        made all the money he could from it. Ain't that a shame. He's a real
        musician in the New Orleans tradition of ignoring categories.

      • Peter L. Reid
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 3, 2005
          >Joel Fritz <lc_calamese@...>
          >Prof_Hi_Jinx wrote:

          > >Just a peeve at too much categorisation - I'm relieved like everyone else
          > >that people like Fats, Irma Thomas and Allen Toussaint have been found
          > alive
          > >and well.
          > >
          > >Bob

          My comment wasn't meant to categorize. I have been chastised on other lists
          by asking what I considered to be an inoccuous question; and as someone who
          rarely has input to this list, I didn't wish to offend any Puritan who may
          lurk in the wings. I can find jazz/blues (to my mind) in a deal of music
          outside the realms of what I would define as jazz.
          Didn't Janis Joplin once state that Bessie had an influence on her singing?
          Joe Cocker has admitted to being influenced early on, by Black blues
          singers, Eric Clapton in the 60's, even early Elvis (Lovin' You).
          The wonderful thing about music is that nowhere in the world can one find
          two people who like exactly the same sounds, or whose musical opinions
          agree. I have had friends over the years who have loved the same Jelly,
          Bessie, Oliver, Ellington, Bix, that I do, but have turned their noses up
          because I happen to like some Rock n' Roll as well (that recorded prior to
          1970 anyway).

          Peter L.