Re: THE DEATH OF NEW ORLEANS

  • sahfen
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Homzy <homzy@v...> wrote:
      > With the permission of the author, I thought members of this list would
      > appreciate this poignant elegie:
      >
      > From: Ed Sisu <edsisu@m...>
      > Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:03:25 -0400
      > To: duke-lym@c...
      > Subject: THE DEATH OF NEW ORLEANS
      >

      > My Friends
      >
      > This is a very sad day for the American People
      > and a sadder day for jazz. New Orleans is gone,
      > with irreperable damage to the infrastructure
      > of this once grand and proud old city.
      >
      > You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see
      > that the devistation of Bourbon St and immediate
      > surrounding streets and thoroughfares can never
      > be salvaged, let alone recovered.
      >
      > What is even sadder is that didn't have to happen.
      > For years the city fathers have considered doing
      > something radical to the levee systems around the
      > city in the event of a hurricane of this magnitude.
      >
      > They couldn't get help from the government to pay
      > the 2 billion odd dollars - the price that the war in Iraq
      > costs Americans to fund every week.
      >
      > In view of the recent political discussions on LYM that
      > have included Bush's war. Every God fearing American
      > should pray to their God for some kind of redemption.
      >
      > Everyone around the world who loves jazz should honor
      > the memory of this historic city in it's agony and final
      > death throws as well as it's population at this time.
      >
      > Perhaps the more eloquent members of this group should
      > suggest what LYM can do to help remember the memories
      > of all the great jazz pioneers who called New Orleans home.
      >
      > Most Respectfully and with a sad aching heart
      >
      > Ed Sisu,

      I agree to what Ed says.
      It's very sad to see New Orleans so damaged. The city of happiness, the city
      of good music, the city of Jazz now is hurt.

      This is another horrible consequence of war and this confirms that music, art
      and culture could not develop with hatred and without respect for other
      people.

      Many jazzmen taught us to learn from different cultures; just look where good
      old New Orleans boys Satchmo and Sidney Bechet travelled. Simply with
      their instruments and their syncopated music, they became heroes for
      everyone in the world.

      Nicola
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
        > I agree to what Ed says.

        So do I, but I don't agree with posting the forwarded message a second time.
        And I don't agree with repeating a politically oriented comment which is by
        no means an element in any topic-related discussion.

        Patrice
      • tommersl
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
          > Many jazzmen taught us to learn from different cultures; just look
          where good
          > old New Orleans boys Satchmo and Sidney Bechet travelled. Simply with
          > their instruments and their syncopated music, they became heroes for
          > everyone in the world.
          >
          > Nicola

          Well said that.
          The sad thing about it, is that New Orleans today is like the 3rd
          world. And so are several areas in the south US.
          The infrastructure is 90% of what makes the difference. And the things
          that happens in the 3rd world happens there as well. This is an
          opportunity for US to do something for it's own citizens. No country
          in the world offered help to America in this situation as of yet. All
          the generousity of America and still thats what they get for it. Thats
          a shame because some humanitary attitude could be shown.
          Poor New Orleans. Farewell. Now I'm going to listen to some New
          Orleans 1920's Jazz.
          I'm thankful to this excellent group that I feel now is even more
          important, as we really know and dig a lot of the New Orleans culture
          and tradition.