Posted autographs of Bix and Paul Whiteman from Dorothy Harper autograph book

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2005
      I just posted some pictures of some autographs in the photos section.
      Dorothy Harper was a high school student who went to see the Paul
      Whiteman Orchestra during the 1928- 29 tour.She especially liked Bix
      in
      the band who she thought was handsome as she told my husband and she
      had her autograph book with her at the concert and obtained the
      autographs of Paul Whiteman and Bix-The other autographs in the book
      are high school friends.She said she got the Bix and Whiteman
      autographs in her book to "impress her friends".
      Dorothy Harper lived in San Francisco --and probably saw the Whiteman
      band at the some theater or auditorium when the band was there during
      the 1928- 29 tour.One hint in the book that could give a clue to the
      date is on another page in the autograph book there is a signature by
      one George Levy who is obviously a school friend of Harper- the page
      has this written on it-"Good luck in future years George Levy
      6/7/29".The autograph would have been signed at the end of the school
      year when students are graduating and get friends to sign their
      autograph books as rememberances.Can anyone check in the Evans and
      Evans book which i don't have the itinerary of the Whiteman band in
      1929 during the concert tour to see where the band was on June 7,
      1929.
      Thanks, Linda