AW: [RedHotJazz] Hey, There's Some New Stuff On www.redhotjazz.com

  • Rader, Michael
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 24, 2004
      Hi Scott and all,

      RedHotJazz has grown into a really valuable resource with some information which is really hard to come by, e.g. the Argentinian bands.

      I don't have any information on Flo Bert, and haven't yet listened to the recordings, but she strikes me as being in the same sort of territory as Marion Harris rather than an out-and-out blues singer. Have you tried Tim Gracyk or the 78-l mailing list? There's also Alex van Tuuk, a Dutchman, who has published a book on Paramount, which might explain why this was recorded for that label.

      The link to Arthur Gibbs is wrong - it leads to Paul Whiteman. I'm sure I have some more info on him in the liner notes to the RCA Black and White LP if you need it.

      Do you happen to have any information on the Jim Dandies, about whom I asked yesterday? You don't have them on your site. I have a copy of their solitary record (in not-too-good condition) and wonder who the musicians are. The sound is somewhat similar to Lem Fowler's Washboard Wonders (also not yet on your site), but I'm not sure about it having the same musicians.

      Best regards,
      Michael

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 24, 2004
        This link was from a posting to the list, so it isn't strictly on techy matters. My posting was mainly to get the ball rolling and not to pick nits ;)

        Michael
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 24, 2004
          Hi Patrice,

          I have listened to one side in the meantime and stand by my original impression. You're very obviously right about the problem of borderlines. In the innocent days when I started listening to jazz my only source of knowledge were a few books and the reissue programmes of the major labels. This created my first impressions about the "jazz map".

          It was only when reissue programmes by collectors, such as the Fountain/Retrieval and VJM projects, started going beyond the hard-core of classics, that I became aware that there is much more music out there and that history isn't as simple as the books would have us believe.

          The dividing-line between vaudeville and blues singing is difficult: I think Messrs. Rust, Godrich and Dixon employed "rules of thumb" like the colour of the singer's skin and labels on which the recordings were issued. When you hear Paramount, you automatically think of blues and Afro-American musicians...

          Best regards,

          Michael