Blues with Bechet

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 14, 2005
      Hi to all,

      There is a single recording by Sidney Bechet with his mentor George Baquet: Blues with Bechet, recorded on 17 June 1938 in Philadelphia. However, did they really record together, or is this Bechet playing along with a recording by Baquet with his regular band of the time? This was the period when John Reid seems to have being experimenting a lot with re-recording: the various Bechet one-man band experiments and I feel that the "Blues with Bechet" sounds suspiciously like one other track from the 17 June session (I think it was "Blues").

      Kind regards,

      Michael
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 15, 2005
        on 15/8/05 7:13, Michael Rader at Rader.Michael@... wrote:

        > There is a single recording by Sidney Bechet with his mentor George Baquet:
        > Blues with Bechet, recorded on 17 June 1938 in Philadelphia. However, did they
        > really record together, or is this Bechet playing along with a recording by
        > Baquet with his regular band of the time? This was the period when John Reid
        > seems to have being experimenting a lot with re-recording: the various Bechet
        > one-man band experiments and I feel that the "Blues with Bechet" sounds
        > suspiciously like one other track from the 17 June session (I think it was
        > "Blues").

        17 June 1940 surely.

        These are ostensibly from a live performance at George Wilson's Café at 52nd
        Street and Walnut. It shouldn't be impossible to discover whether Bechet was
        actually there.

        Fabrice Zammarchi's notes to Sidney Bechet Volume 9 (Masters of Jazz
        MJCD126) contain circumstantial detail about Bechet and John Reid visiting
        Philadelphia together in order to visit Baquet, to Bechet being invited to
        sit in with his band, and Reid making the recordings, and refer to photos
        taken on the occasion. However, the photo of Bechet & Baquet reproduced in
        Zammarchi's coffee-table book "Sidney Bechet" (1989) is a street scene with
        the two of them chatting. I am loathe to believe Zammarchi extrapolated his
        details about the concert, but it has happened.

        The John D. Reid Collection catalog accepts this item as authentic also
        which ought to mean there is nothing in Reid's notes to suggest otherwise.

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 15, 2005
          Yes, you're right about it being 1940. I am aware that there is nothing to say that it *is* Bechet playing along with a recording: there is also an extremely comprehensive discography on the Sidney Bechet Society web site which says nothing of the kind. However, listening to the recordings made at the session, which are available on an American Music CD, the similarity of the two tracks struck me, so I wondered if it is not yet another case of playing along with the recording.

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 15, 2005
            To partly answer my own question, I listened to both records last night. While they start sounding very much the same and the recordings in both cases have a very obtrusive underlying hum, the major difference is the playing time: the track with Bechet is over a minute longer. I'm not sure if editing techniques were sufficiently mature in 1940.
            A possibility for closer comparison is parallel listening in a single stereorized recording (e.g. inserting both recordings into separate channels of a single stereo track as suggested by Norman Field in the Bix forum).

            Cheers,

            Michael