"Regal Records" info

  • popsguy93
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 11, 2005
      Hi all,

      I want to share something I recently discovered. I picked up some 78's
      and sleeves and noticed some interesting bands and people listed on
      them.One of the sleeves is Regal Records and as far as I can tell it
      was put out around and 1923 or 1924. one of the sections on it is
      titled "colored Blues Records" and features the following: "Feelin'
      Blues" and "What you was" by Daisy Martin and Her Royal Tigers
      (9548), "Down Hearted Blues" and "Gulf Coast Blues" (9510), and "Baby
      won't You please come home" and "Mama's got the blues" (9497) by
      Lillian Harris accompanied by Original New Orleans Jazz Band. As a
      History Major with a minor in music, particularly American Musicology
      any light anyone can shed on this would be appreciated. thanks in
      advance .

      Rob V.
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 12, 2005
        on 11/8/05 18:36, popsguy93 at popsguy93@... wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I want to share something I recently discovered. I picked up some 78's
        > and sleeves and noticed some interesting bands and people listed on
        > them.One of the sleeves is Regal Records and as far as I can tell it
        > was put out around and 1923 or 1924. one of the sections on it is
        > titled "colored Blues Records" and features the following: "Feelin'
        > Blues" and "What you was" by Daisy Martin and Her Royal Tigers
        > (9548), "Down Hearted Blues" and "Gulf Coast Blues" (9510), and "Baby
        > won't You please come home" and "Mama's got the blues" (9497) by
        > Lillian Harris accompanied by Original New Orleans Jazz Band. As a
        > History Major with a minor in music, particularly American Musicology
        > any light anyone can shed on this would be appreciated. thanks in
        > advance .

        What do you want to know?

        The Daisy Martin coupling on 9548 is Feelin' Blues/What You Was ‹ You Used
        To Be, dates from around July 1923 and is accompanied by a five-piece band.
        She had previously recorded extensively for OKeh and Gennett. You can hear
        her complete output on Document DOCD5522 Daisy Martin and Ozie McPherson.

        These four are everything Lillian Harris recorded thought here are umpteen
        takes spread across the issues on Regal and Banner. The Original New Orleans
        Jazz Band includes Sidney ASrodin on clarinet. All four titles and a few
        extra takes can be heard on Document DOCD5512 Female Blues Singers, Vol. 8.

        They are all listed in detail in the standard discographies which your
        institution's library ought to get! Interest declared!

      • vintagetenor
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 12, 2005
          These four are everything Lillian Harris recorded thought here are umpteen
          takes spread across the issues on Regal and Banner.

          Hi Howard,

          Are you sure? I know I hade a Lillian Harris on a batwing Victor (although I forget the title) that I traded about 10 years ago.

          Mike Amato

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 13, 2005
            on 12/8/05 20:47, vintagetenor at vintagetenor@... wrote:

            > These four are everything Lillian Harris recorded thought here are umpteen
            > takes spread across the issues on Regal and Banner.
            >
            > Hi Howard,
            >
            > Are you sure? I know I hade a Lillian Harris on a batwing Victor (although I
            > forget the title) that I traded about 10 years ago.

            Assumably a different Lillian Harris.

            Which said, I can't find any Victor by Lillian Harris in Brian Rust's Victor
            Master Book or in a numerical listing of Victors, so this is either an
            unknown Victor or possibly in an unlisted subsidiary series. In any event no
            one has ever reported it as a blues or jazz record. I would expect Rust to
            contain a warning about it if he was aware of it and as he is a Victor
            expert I am surprised he isn't and doesn't.

          • Ron L'Herault
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 13, 2005
              I just checked the several Victor catalogs I have from 1915-1925 and didn't
              see a Lillian Harris.

              Ron L

              > These four are everything Lillian Harris recorded thought here are umpteen
              > takes spread across the issues on Regal and Banner.
              >
              > Hi Howard,
              >
              > Are you sure? I know I hade a Lillian Harris on a batwing Victor
              (although I
              > forget the title) that I traded about 10 years ago.

              Assumably a different Lillian Harris.

              Which said, I can't find any Victor by Lillian Harris in Brian Rust's Victor
              Master Book or in a numerical listing of Victors, so this is either an
              unknown Victor or possibly in an unlisted subsidiary series. In any event no
              one has ever reported it as a blues or jazz record. I would expect Rust to
              contain a warning about it if he was aware of it and as he is a Victor
              expert I am surprised he isn't and doesn't.

              Yahoo! Groups Links