TESTING ONE TWO THREE

  • Scott Alexander
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
      Hey, can you do me a favor and test this link to a Windows video file:
      http://www.redhotjazz.com/movies/kj3testweb.WMV

      Is the quality good enough? Can your Internet connection handle it? Can you
      Mac and Linux users view it? Have any good ideas about what video format to
      use on the site?

      Thanks,
      Scott Alexander
      The Red Hot Jazz Archive
      www.redhotjazz.com

    • jazzfan702000
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
        Hello Scott

        The downloading went very well (cable modem) and i played the movie
        with windows mediaplayer amd powerdvd; no problems
        I use windows xp

        regards

        Hmek Peters

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Alexander" <scott@t...>
        wrote:
        > Hey, can you do me a favor and test this link to a Windows video
        file:
        > http://www.redhotjazz.com/movies/kj3testweb.WMV
        >
        > Is the quality good enough? Can your Internet connection handle it?
        Can you
        > Mac and Linux users view it? Have any good ideas about what video
        format to
        > use on the site?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Scott Alexander
        > The Red Hot Jazz Archive
        > www.redhotjazz.com

      • Mugg Muggles
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
          I clicked the link and was redirected to some jive "aol.temp something"
          after which NOTHING occurred. I tried reloading it and the same B.S.
          happenned.
          I have an iBook running OS X Panther and a dail-up connection. (I also
          have Windows Media Player for Mac installed.) Oh well . . .
          --- Mugg
          The Man With the Jive
        • P.W. Fenton
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 4, 2004
            At 10:36 PM 10/3/2004 -0700, Scott Alexander wrote...
            >Hey, can you do me a favor and test this link to a Windows video file:
            >http://www.redhotjazz.com/movies/kj3testweb.WMV
            >
            >Is the quality good enough? Can your Internet connection handle it? Can you
            >Mac and Linux users view it? Have any good ideas about what video format to
            >use on the site?

            I've got a Windows XP system and a cable modem and it streamed
            wonderfully. You should have made it a longer test. I was enjoying it ;^)

            P.W. Fenton
            New Port Richey, FL
            http://BluesLand.Net - A comprehensive network of Blues related resources
          • Ron L'Herault
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 4, 2004
              looks like Oliver Hardy, doesn't he?

              This is another fine mess you've gotten us into. MMMmmm.

              Ron L

              Hey, can you do me a favor and test this link to a Windows video file:
              http://www.redhotjazz.com/movies/kj3testweb.WMV

              Is the quality good enough? Can your Internet connection handle it? Can you
              Mac and Linux users view it? Have any good ideas about what video format to
              use on the site?

              Thanks,
              Scott Alexander
              The Red Hot Jazz Archive
              www.redhotjazz.com

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Pavel Pitra
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 4, 2004
                Hello Scott and all,

                I tested the file on my (not-so-recent) Macintosh G4 running the
                (old) system 9.1 with Windows Media Player 7.1.2 for Mac connected to
                the internet via a fast optic cable (LAN/T1 ??) and it worked
                relatively well. Nevertheless, the film wasn't "smooth", continuous
                and one image somtimes remained for some time whereas the music
                continued without problems.
                I found that the image quality could be better. The first time I
                looked at it, I didn't understand that the musicians were climbing
                out of the box. I thought they were some papers...? something like
                the "barrel-organ"... (probably also due to the discontinuous image)

                Finally, unlike Ron, I would rather guess that the fat guy is Paul Whiteman!

                Cheers, Pavel

                --------

              • l.swain@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 4, 2004
                  On 3 Oct 2004 at 22:36, Scott Alexander <RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com>
                  said:

                  > Hey, can you do me a favor and test this link to a Windows video
                  file:
                  > http://www.redhotjazz.com/movies/kj3testweb.WMV

                  Scott:

                  Regret to report that my attempt, using a PC running Windows 2000 Pro
                  connected to a cable modem, ended without success in two tries.

                  Each time the player window opened and downloading began, then
                  abruptly stopped when the computer locked up.

                  It was necessary to hit the reset button and restart Windows, which
                  begins with a few-minutes scan of C:\.

                  I am providing this amount of detail so that others with the same
                  operating system and high-speed connections can report on their
                  experiences. Perhaps the problem is unique to my setup.

                  All the best,

                  Larry Swain
                • Ron L'Herault
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 4, 2004
                    Oh, I know it was Whitman, I think the clip is from the King of Jazz movie,
                    no? He just reminded me of Hardy in the way he was "mugging" for the
                    camera.

                    Ron L

                    I tested the file on my (not-so-recent) Macintosh G4 running the
                    (old) system 9.1 with Windows Media Player 7.1.2 for Mac connected to
                    the internet via a fast optic cable (LAN/T1 ??) and it worked
                    relatively well. Nevertheless, the film wasn't "smooth", continuous
                    and one image somtimes remained for some time whereas the music
                    continued without problems.
                    I found that the image quality could be better. The first time I
                    looked at it, I didn't understand that the musicians were climbing
                    out of the box. I thought they were some papers...? something like
                    the "barrel-organ"... (probably also due to the discontinuous image)

                    Finally, unlike Ron, I would rather guess that the fat guy is Paul
                    Whiteman!

                    Cheers, Pavel

                    --------
                    >Hey, can you do me a favor and test this link to a Windows video file:
                    >http://www.redhotjazz.com/movies/kj3testweb.WMV
                    >
                    >Is the quality good enough? Can your Internet connection handle it? Can you
                    >Mac and Linux users view it? Have any good ideas about what video format to
                    >use on the site?
                    >
                    >Thanks,
                    >Scott Alexander
                    >The Red Hot Jazz Archive
                    >www.redhotjazz.com

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Glen Richards
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 4, 2004
                      Scott -

                      May I suggest QuickTime? The streaming quality is very good, and there
                      are clients for it for just about every OS out there. FWIW, I have a Mac
                      and I won't have anything to do with Windows Media Player - just my
                      opinion! <grin>

                      Glen

                      Glen Richards (glenster@...)
                      The Hot-Dance & Vintage Jazz Pages: http://www.2multiples.com/hotdance

                      Scott Alexander wrote:
                      > Hey, can you do me a favor and test this link to a Windows video file:
                      > http://www.redhotjazz.com/movies/kj3testweb.WMV
                      >
                      > Is the quality good enough? Can your Internet connection handle it? Can you
                      > Mac and Linux users view it? Have any good ideas about what video format to
                      > use on the site?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Scott Alexander
                      > The Red Hot Jazz Archive
                      > www.redhotjazz.com

                      > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
                      > click here
                      > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12986ma4n/M=315388.5455589.6541277.2248467/D=grplch/S=1705024648:HM/EXP=1096954658/A=2372352/R=0/SIG=12i7vpj02/*https://www.orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL40FF1004SS>

                    • Ken Doyle
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 4, 2004
                        Windows 98 here with Windows Media Player and a cable connection
                        here. All went well with smooth video.

                        Ken D.