Saxo Sextette - 2 Songs Added

  • Scott Alexander
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 9, 2005
      If you like the Six Brown Brothers here is an off-shoot of that band
      called the Saxo Sextette

      Bull Frog Blues
      http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/saxosextette/bullfrogblues.ram
      Swanee-Ripples
      http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/saxosextette/swaneeripples.ram

      More songs by them:
      http://www.redhotjazz.com/saxosextette.html

      Scott Alexander
      The Red Hot Jazz Archive
      www.redhotjazz.com
    • David Lewis
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 10, 2005
        Scott,

        I can't remember where I read the information, but I
        recall seeing that both the Saxo Sextette and Columbia
        Saxophone Sextette actually were the Six Brown
        Brothers, in hiding from Victor to whom they were
        contracted. Can anyone confirm this?

        The Buescher Instrument company is supposed to have
        made a silent movie clip of the Six Brown Brothers
        that it distributed on 16mm as a promotional item. As
        far as I know, no one living has seen it, although if
        it were on 16 it would have been on a safety base and
        thus did not deteriorate. Anyone have more
        information?

        Uncle Dave Lewis

        Message: 7
        Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 22:23:34 -0700
        From: Scott Alexander <scott@...>
        Subject: Saxo Sextette - 2 Songs Added

        If you like the Six Brown Brothers here is an
        off-shoot of that band
        called the Saxo Sextette

        Bull Frog Blues
        http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/saxosextette/bullfrogblues.ram
        Swanee-Ripples
        http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/saxosextette/swaneeripples.ram

        More songs by them:
        http://www.redhotjazz.com/saxosextette.html

        Scott Alexander
        The Red Hot Jazz Archive
        www.redhotjazz.com

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • Scott Alexander
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 10, 2005
          Dave,
          I stumbled upon some information about the Columbia Saxophone Sextette
          while going through old issues of Variety. What happened was that Harry
          Yerkes contracted a group of saxophone players to make the records, then
          they started getting gigs in New York and Chicago on their own and
          saying in their ads in Variety and the Chicago Tribune that they were
          the recording artists formerly known as the Columbia Saxophone Sextette
          but their new name was Broadway's Saxo-Harmonists. They had been playing
          in New York and then had a very successful engagement at Ike Bloom's
          Midnight Frolic in Chicago. After about six months of this type of
          advertising Yerkes ran his own ad in Variety saying that it was true
          that he had contracted the group but the name the Columbia Saxophone
          Sextette belonged to him and the "real" i.e. his Columbia Saxophone
          Sextette had some new gigs in New York.

          According to Bruce Vermazen (author of the Six Brown Brothers book), the
          Saxo Sextette was a band put together by Billy Markwith a one time
          member of the Six Brown Brothers. Markwith left the Six Brown Brothers
          and started touring using a similar name and wearing clown suits and Tom
          Brown (the leader of the Six Brown Brothers) sued Markwith and won and
          he had to start using a different name. This band of Markwith's recorded
          under the name of the Saxo Sextette.

          The Six Brown Brothers made a Vitaphone short but the film is lost. But
          you can hear the soundtrack of of Vitaphone short on the "new" Six Brown
          Brothers CD http://www.archeophone.com/product_info.php?products_id=47

          Columbia Saxophone Sextette
          http://www.redhotjazz.com/css.html
          Saxo Sextette
          http://www.redhotjazz.com/saxosextette.html
          Six Brown Brothers
          http://www.redhotjazz.com/6brownbrothers.html

          Scott Alexander
          The Red Hot Jazz Archive
          www.redhotjazz.com

          David Lewis wrote:

          >Scott,
          >
          >I can't remember where I read the information, but I
          >recall seeing that both the Saxo Sextette and Columbia
          >Saxophone Sextette actually were the Six Brown
          >Brothers, in hiding from Victor to whom they were
          >contracted. Can anyone confirm this?
          >
          >The Buescher Instrument company is supposed to have
          >made a silent movie clip of the Six Brown Brothers
          >that it distributed on 16mm as a promotional item. As
          >far as I know, no one living has seen it, although if
          >it were on 16 it would have been on a safety base and
          >thus did not deteriorate. Anyone have more
          >information?
          >
          >Uncle Dave Lewis
          >
          >Message: 7
          > Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 22:23:34 -0700
          > From: Scott Alexander <scott@...>
          >Subject: Saxo Sextette - 2 Songs Added
          >
          >If you like the Six Brown Brothers here is an
          >off-shoot of that band
          >called the Saxo Sextette
          >
          >Bull Frog Blues
          >http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/saxosextette/bullfrogblues.ram
          >Swanee-Ripples
          >http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/saxosextette/swaneeripples.ram
          >
          >More songs by them:
          >http://www.redhotjazz.com/saxosextette.html
          >

          >Scott Alexander
          >The Red Hot Jazz Archive
          >www.redhotjazz.com

        • David N. Lewis
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 11, 2005
            Scott,

            Thanks for filling in the blanks on the Saxo Sextette. That was
            fascinating!

            Uncle Dave Lewis