Need information on Jelly Roll Morton Library of Congress Cd issues

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 9, 2005
      Hi- i have a 4 cd set on Rounder label of Jelly Roll Morton Library
      of Congress recordings.But it is only music and not
      talking.The "complete" Library of Congress recordings as to including
      dialog too was on an lp set put out in Sweden by Classic Jazz Masters
      label and in Australia by Swaggie.At least it is complete as to what
      came out on Circle.Circle omitted some of the bad language recordings
      like "Dirty Dozen" and "Make Me A Pallet On The Floor" and edited
      Winin' Boy Blues but those are complete on Rounder.
      Are the Rounder label Cds the only Cd issue of the Library of
      Congress recordings?Is there another cd set that is complete with the
      talking?
      Also there are still some unissued sides as far as i know that are
      not on any lp or cd set- these are
      1.1670A- Now Let Me Tell You
      2.1670B-I know You've Got My Man
      3.1671A-They Brought That Gal To The Prison Gate
      4.1671B-Gal, When I Get Through,You Think I Am A Man
      5.1672A-Ask My Sister,Please Don't Be Like Me
      6.1672B-Goodbye To The World, I Know I'm Gone
      7.2488A- California Experiences- with talking and guitar strumming
      8.2488B- same
      Have ANY of the above 8 sides ever been on a commercially available
      lp or cd?I know Roger Richard of France has tape copies of all the
      above sides but has he ever made them available to any company to re-
      issue or has he even distributed tape bootleg copies to any other
      collector?Does anyone in this group correspond with Roger Richard and
      possibly have obtained tape copies of these sides from him?-
      Thanks,Linda (and i invite anyone interested here to join my Jelly
      Roll Morton Yahoo discussion group.
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 9, 2005
        Hi

        I believe George Buck started reissuing the Library Of Congress recordings on CD, but then encountered copyright problems, so that the Rounders are the only current CD issue. Rounder is still considering the issue of the spoken sections, but the main issue seems to be commercial viability.

        The complete story is likely to be found on Mike Meddings' very comprehensive and valuable Jelly Roll Morton Web site.

        Cheers

        Michael

        > Hi- i have a 4 cd set on Rounder label of Jelly Roll Morton Library
        > of Congress recordings.But it is only music and not
        > talking.The "complete" Library of Congress recordings as to including
        > dialog too was on an lp set put out in Sweden by Classic Jazz Masters
        > label and in Australia by Swaggie.At least it is complete as to what
        > came out on Circle.Circle omitted some of the bad language recordings
        > like "Dirty Dozen" and "Make Me A Pallet On The Floor" and edited
        > Winin' Boy Blues but those are complete on Rounder.
        > Are the Rounder label Cds the only Cd issue of the Library of
        > Congress recordings?Is there another cd set that is complete with the
        > talking?
        > Also there are still some unissued sides as far as i know that are
        > not on any lp or cd set- these are
        > 1.1670A- Now Let Me Tell You
        > 2.1670B-I know You've Got My Man
        > 3.1671A-They Brought That Gal To The Prison Gate
        > 4.1671B-Gal, When I Get Through,You Think I Am A Man
        > 5.1672A-Ask My Sister,Please Don't Be Like Me
        > 6.1672B-Goodbye To The World, I Know I'm Gone
        > 7.2488A- California Experiences- with talking and guitar strumming
        > 8.2488B- same
        > Have ANY of the above 8 sides ever been on a commercially available
        > lp or cd?I know Roger Richard of France has tape copies of all the
        > above sides but has he ever made them available to any company to re-
        > issue or has he even distributed tape bootleg copies to any other
        > collector?Does anyone in this group correspond with Roger Richard and
        > possibly have obtained tape copies of these sides from him?-
        > Thanks,Linda (and i invite anyone interested here to join my Jelly
        > Roll Morton Yahoo discussion group.

      • Kevin Keats
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 9, 2005
          Hello,

          The actual Library Of Congress site (http://www.loc.gov/) may have catologed the original vinyl release for loan and or will tell of a depository that may still have that version. I don't know that cassette version was ever released. Good luck.

          Regards,

          Kevin

          Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...> wrote:

          Hi

          I believe George Buck started reissuing the Library Of Congress recordings on CD, but then encountered copyright problems, so that the Rounders are the only current CD issue. Rounder is still considering the issue of the spoken sections, but the main issue seems to be commercial viability.

          The complete story is likely to be found on Mike Meddings' very comprehensive and valuable Jelly Roll Morton Web site.

          Cheers

          Michael

          > Hi- i have a 4 cd set on Rounder label of Jelly Roll Morton Library
          > of Congress recordings.But it is only music and not
          > talking.The "complete" Library of Congress recordings as to including
          > dialog too was on an lp set put out in Sweden by Classic Jazz Masters
          > label and in Australia by Swaggie.At least it is complete as to what
          > came out on Circle.Circle omitted some of the bad language recordings
          > like "Dirty Dozen" and "Make Me A Pallet On The Floor" and edited
          > Winin' Boy Blues but those are complete on Rounder.
          > Are the Rounder label Cds the only Cd issue of the Library of
          > Congress recordings?Is there another cd set that is complete with the
          > talking?
          > Also there are still some unissued sides as far as i know that are
          > not on any lp or cd set- these are
          > 1.1670A- Now Let Me Tell You
          > 2.1670B-I know You've Got My Man
          > 3.1671A-They Brought That Gal To The Prison Gate
          > 4.1671B-Gal, When I Get Through,You Think I Am A Man
          > 5.1672A-Ask My Sister,Please Don't Be Like Me
          > 6.1672B-Goodbye To The World, I Know I'm Gone
          > 7.2488A- California Experiences- with talking and guitar strumming
          > 8.2488B- same
          > Have ANY of the above 8 sides ever been on a commercially available
          > lp or cd?I know Roger Richard of France has tape copies of all the
          > above sides but has he ever made them available to any company to re-
          > issue or has he even distributed tape bootleg copies to any other
          > collector?Does anyone in this group correspond with Roger Richard and
          > possibly have obtained tape copies of these sides from him?-
          > Thanks,Linda (and i invite anyone interested here to join my Jelly
          > Roll Morton Yahoo discussion group.

          Genres of music Jazz music

          ---------------------------------

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 10, 2005
            Affinty, a British subsidiary of Charly Records, put out a three disc set of
            The Morton L of C recordings about 15 years ago. There is some speech on it,
            but it isn't very extensive and what there is consists mostly of Morton
            giving background info on the tunes he's playing. The full track listing is below.

            Cheers,

            Fred McCormick.

            The Library of Congress recordings. Affinity CD AFS 1010 1-3

            DISC 1
            1 THE ORIGINAL QUADRILLE
            2 TIGER RAG
            3 PANAMA
            4 MR. JELLY LORD
            5 THE MISERERE
            6 HYENA STOMP
            7 THE ANIMULE BALL (in 2 parts)
            8 DEMONSTRATION OF SCAT
            9 SEE SEE RIDER
            10 "NEW ORLEANS FUNERAL"
            (extracts)
            11 "DISCOURSE ON JAZZ"
            (extracts)
            - How Jelly used to play when
            forming his style
            - Demonstration of riffs
            - Dischords
            12 KANSAS CITY STOMP, Parts 1 & 2
            13 DEMONSTRATION OF BREAKS
            14 DARKTOWN STRUTTERS BALL
            15 EXAMPLE OF SLOWER TYPE OF JAZZ MUSIC
            16 RANDALL'S RAG .
            17 MAPLE LEAF RAG (ST. LOUIS) (in 2 parts)
            18 MAPLE LEAF RAG (NEW ORLEANS)
            19 KING PORTER STOMP/YOU CAN HAVE IT
            20 MAMA 'NITA
            21 SPANISH SWAT
            22 NEW ORLEANS BLUES
            23 LA PALOMA
            24 CREEPY FEELING, Parts 1 &2

            DISC 2
            1 THE CRAVE
            2 FICKLE FAY CREEP
            3 AARON HARRIS
            4 THE GEORGIA SKIN GAME
            5 THE PEARLS
            6 PEP
            7 AIN'T MISBEHAVIN'
            8 BERT WILLIAMS
            9 JUNGLE BLUES
            10 IMITATION OF TONY JACKSON'S STYLE
            11 PRETTY BABY
            12 MAMIE DESDOUMES' BLUES
            13 GAME KID
            14 BUDDY CARTER'S HONKY TONK NUMBER
            15 NUMBER PLAYED AGAINST BENNY FRENCHY/ALL THAT I ASK IS LOVE
            16 WOLVERINE BLUES
            17 LOWDOWN BLUES
            18 MICHIGAN WATER BLUES 19 THE MURDER BALLAD
            20 WININ' BOY BLUES

            DISC 3
            1 WININ' BOY BLUES, Part 2
            2 SALTY DOG
            3 THE MISERERE
            4 ALABAMA BOUND, Parts 1 & 2
            5 SWEET PETER
            6 STATE & MADISON
            7 FREAKISH
            8 MY GAL SAL
            9 KING PORTER STOMP
            10 ORIGINAL JELLY ROLL BLUES
            11 "HERE IS THE WAY SOME OF THE BANDS WOULD PLAY" STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER
            12 BUDDY BOLDEN'S LEGEND
            13 CREOLE SONG
            14 IF YOU DON'T SHAKE
            15 LEVEE MAN BLUES
            16 THE NAKED DANCE
            17 I HATE A MAN LIKE YOU
            18 HONKY TONK BLUES,
            Parts 1 & 2
            19 IF I WAS WHISKY & YOU WAS A DUCK

            Message: 1
            Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 19:03:23 -0000
            From: "Linda" <jazzgirl1920s@...>
            Subject: Need information on Jelly Roll Morton Library of Congress Cd issues

          • Fredamhran@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 11, 2005
              It's a small world, but I've just received word that Rounder are to issue
              the entire Morton L of C recordings as a 7 CD set in September. This presumably
              will be part of the Alan Lomax collection, which Rounder have been working on
              for several years. For more information, visit
              _http://www.rounder.com/index.php?id=album.php&musicalGroupId=559&catalog_id=6
              763_
              (http://www.rounder.com/index.php?id=album.php&musicalGroupId=559&catalog_id=6763)

              Incidentally, while scrabbling round for information, I've just come across
              a site called Ragtime · Blues · Hot Piano Monrovia Sound Studio. It's at
              _http://www.doctorjazz.freeserve.co.uk/index.html_
              (http://www.doctorjazz.freeserve.co.uk/index.html) and is run by one Mike Meddings, who appears to a Morton
              nut. At any rate, there's lashings of stuff about Morton in there, including
              what looks like a complete transcript of the L of C recordings.

              Cheers,

              Fred McCormick.

[...]

            • contijoch
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 11, 2005
                Linda: go to:
                http://www.doctorjazz.freeserve.co.uk/locspeech1.html#introlocsp

                you will find a complete Morton discography with details about the LOC
                recordings.

                All the best

                Luis Contijoch

                Message: 1