Re: [RedHotJazz] Source of Divergent lp label "Victorious Bix" lp's?

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 5, 2005
      Speaking of Erik Bakker, what is he doing jazz-wise these days? I used to subscribe to "Micrography" and bought regularly from Golden Age Records while his father was alive and I think I bought several items related to the Beatles from Erik for my sister. I have an inkling that "Names and Numbers" is still in existence, but anything else?

      Best regards,

      Michael

      > on 5/8/05 7:07, Michael Rader at Rader.Michael@... wrote:
      >

      > > The Bixography web site has discographies. One lists LPs and this says that
      > > Divergent was a Dutch label. Evert (Ted) Kaleveld lived in Italy (I'm not sure
      > > of his origin) and co-produced the 14-volume edition of Bix complete
      > > recordings for Joker later on. I think he also co-authored a Bix
      > > bio-discography. Putting two and two together, I would guess that Divergent
      > > was one of Dick Bakker's labels. Bakker published a periodical called
      > > "Micrography" which was a champion for avoiding duplication between vintage
      > > jazz reissues produced by the various labels in existence at the time. His
      > > perhaps best-known label was called "Gaps", indicating that the were designed
      > > to fill gaps in the reissue discography. Howard Rye can probably tell you
      > > more.
      >
      > Described by Dick as Dutch despite probably being produced by Ted Kaleveld
      > in Italy, so definitely one of his labels. Actually Laing and Sheridan's the
      > Small Labels gives Dick's address and the label they reproduce has no
      > copyright stamp so in this case the Italian connection may have been even
      > more nominal than usual.
      >
      > Evert Kaleveld, known to his anglophone acquaintance as Ted (similarly Dick
      > Bakker's forename was really Dirk or so he once told me), was (is?) a Dutch
      > businessman who lived in the Po Valley. Anything else I could say would be
      > merely hearsay and best left unsaid.
      >
      > These two are the only issues I can trace using the Divergent name. As to
      > date: before 1969 is the best I can do.
      >
      > Erik Bakker has threatened to produce a discographical monograph on his
      > father's labels. I must chase him about this!

      > howard@...
      > Tel/FAX: +44 20 8521 1098

      Mit der Gruppen-SMS von WEB.DE FreeMail k├Ânnen Sie eine SMS an alle
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 5, 2005
        on 5/8/05 11:27, Michael Rader at Rader.Michael@... wrote:

        > Speaking of Erik Bakker, what is he doing jazz-wise these days? I used to
        > subscribe to "Micrography" and bought regularly from Golden Age Records while
        > his father was alive and I think I bought several items related to the Beatles
        > from Erik for my sister. I have an inkling that "Names and Numbers" is still
        > in existence, but anything else?

        Names & Numbers is now produced by Stichting Names & Numbers: 20 euros for 4
        issues (25 euros outside Europea) to Gerard J. Hoogeveen, Reine Claudestraat
        15, 1326 JC Almere, Netherlands. This is an advert.

        Erik is still a fellow member of the editorial team but as far as I know is
        currently a sleeping partner and is devoting his time to his thriving
        printing business. I haven't seen him for 3 years or so. His Beatles period
        is over and all his current projects relate to more worthwhile music! He was
        the moving force behind reviving Names & Numbers.

        (Please don't anybody waste bandwidth by telling us how important the
        Beatles are. We know, we know. We've been told.)