Re: [RedHotJazz] Source of Divergent lp label "Victorious Bix" lp's?

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 5, 2005
      on 5/8/05 7:07, Michael Rader at Rader.Michael@... wrote:

      > The Bixography web site has discographies. One lists LPs and this says that
      > Divergent was a Dutch label. Evert (Ted) Kaleveld lived in Italy (I'm not sure
      > of his origin) and co-produced the 14-volume edition of Bix complete
      > recordings for Joker later on. I think he also co-authored a Bix
      > bio-discography. Putting two and two together, I would guess that Divergent
      > was one of Dick Bakker's labels. Bakker published a periodical called
      > "Micrography" which was a champion for avoiding duplication between vintage
      > jazz reissues produced by the various labels in existence at the time. His
      > perhaps best-known label was called "Gaps", indicating that the were designed
      > to fill gaps in the reissue discography. Howard Rye can probably tell you
      > more.

      Described by Dick as Dutch despite probably being produced by Ted Kaleveld
      in Italy, so definitely one of his labels. Actually Laing and Sheridan's the
      Small Labels gives Dick's address and the label they reproduce has no
      copyright stamp so in this case the Italian connection may have been even
      more nominal than usual.

      Evert Kaleveld, known to his anglophone acquaintance as Ted (similarly Dick
      Bakker's forename was really Dirk or so he once told me), was (is?) a Dutch
      businessman who lived in the Po Valley. Anything else I could say would be
      merely hearsay and best left unsaid.

      These two are the only issues I can trace using the Divergent name. As to
      date: before 1969 is the best I can do.

      Erik Bakker has threatened to produce a discographical monograph on his
      father's labels. I must chase him about this!

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 5, 2005
        Speaking of Erik Bakker, what is he doing jazz-wise these days? I used to subscribe to "Micrography" and bought regularly from Golden Age Records while his father was alive and I think I bought several items related to the Beatles from Erik for my sister. I have an inkling that "Names and Numbers" is still in existence, but anything else?

        Best regards,

        Michael

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5, 2005
          on 5/8/05 11:27, Michael Rader at Rader.Michael@... wrote:

          > Speaking of Erik Bakker, what is he doing jazz-wise these days? I used to
          > subscribe to "Micrography" and bought regularly from Golden Age Records while
          > his father was alive and I think I bought several items related to the Beatles
          > from Erik for my sister. I have an inkling that "Names and Numbers" is still
          > in existence, but anything else?

          Names & Numbers is now produced by Stichting Names & Numbers: 20 euros for 4
          issues (25 euros outside Europea) to Gerard J. Hoogeveen, Reine Claudestraat
          15, 1326 JC Almere, Netherlands. This is an advert.

          Erik is still a fellow member of the editorial team but as far as I know is
          currently a sleeping partner and is devoting his time to his thriving
          printing business. I haven't seen him for 3 years or so. His Beatles period
          is over and all his current projects relate to more worthwhile music! He was
          the moving force behind reviving Names & Numbers.

          (Please don't anybody waste bandwidth by telling us how important the
          Beatles are. We know, we know. We've been told.)