Source of Divergent lp label "Victorious Bix" lp's?

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2005
      I just bought 2 lp's of Bix Beiderbecke at a used record store on a
      label i have never seen before.The lp's are 1. Divergent 301- The
      Victorious Bix-Volume 1- Some 1926-1930 Records of Unusual Interest 2.
      Divergent 302-The Victorious Bix- Volume 2-Some 1926-1930 Records of
      Unusual Interest--Both say "For Collectors Only- Limited Edition."
      Liner notes on the back of the lp's are written by Evert Kaleveld.I
      have never seen any jazz lp's on this "Divergent" label before- Does
      anyone know who put these lp's out and when and were they were made?
      Are there any other lp's on this label?- thanks, Linda
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2005
        Linda

        The Bixography web site has discographies. One lists LPs and this says that Divergent was a Dutch label. Evert (Ted) Kaleveld lived in Italy (I'm not sure of his origin) and co-produced the 14-volume edition of Bix complete recordings for Joker later on. I think he also co-authored a Bix bio-discography. Putting two and two together, I would guess that Divergent was one of Dick Bakker's labels. Bakker published a periodical called "Micrography" which was a champion for avoiding duplication between vintage jazz reissues produced by the various labels in existence at the time. His perhaps best-known label was called "Gaps", indicating that the were designed to fill gaps in the reissue discography. Howard Rye can probably tell you more.

        Best wishes,

        Michael

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5, 2005
          on 5/8/05 7:07, Michael Rader at Rader.Michael@... wrote:

          > The Bixography web site has discographies. One lists LPs and this says that
          > Divergent was a Dutch label. Evert (Ted) Kaleveld lived in Italy (I'm not sure
          > of his origin) and co-produced the 14-volume edition of Bix complete
          > recordings for Joker later on. I think he also co-authored a Bix
          > bio-discography. Putting two and two together, I would guess that Divergent
          > was one of Dick Bakker's labels. Bakker published a periodical called
          > "Micrography" which was a champion for avoiding duplication between vintage
          > jazz reissues produced by the various labels in existence at the time. His
          > perhaps best-known label was called "Gaps", indicating that the were designed
          > to fill gaps in the reissue discography. Howard Rye can probably tell you
          > more.

          Described by Dick as Dutch despite probably being produced by Ted Kaleveld
          in Italy, so definitely one of his labels. Actually Laing and Sheridan's the
          Small Labels gives Dick's address and the label they reproduce has no
          copyright stamp so in this case the Italian connection may have been even
          more nominal than usual.

          Evert Kaleveld, known to his anglophone acquaintance as Ted (similarly Dick
          Bakker's forename was really Dirk or so he once told me), was (is?) a Dutch
          businessman who lived in the Po Valley. Anything else I could say would be
          merely hearsay and best left unsaid.

          These two are the only issues I can trace using the Divergent name. As to
          date: before 1969 is the best I can do.

          Erik Bakker has threatened to produce a discographical monograph on his
          father's labels. I must chase him about this!

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2005
            Speaking of Erik Bakker, what is he doing jazz-wise these days? I used to subscribe to "Micrography" and bought regularly from Golden Age Records while his father was alive and I think I bought several items related to the Beatles from Erik for my sister. I have an inkling that "Names and Numbers" is still in existence, but anything else?

            Best regards,

            Michael

            > on 5/8/05 7:07, Michael Rader at Rader.Michael@... wrote:
            >

            > > The Bixography web site has discographies. One lists LPs and this says that
            > > Divergent was a Dutch label. Evert (Ted) Kaleveld lived in Italy (I'm not sure
            > > of his origin) and co-produced the 14-volume edition of Bix complete
            > > recordings for Joker later on. I think he also co-authored a Bix
            > > bio-discography. Putting two and two together, I would guess that Divergent
            > > was one of Dick Bakker's labels. Bakker published a periodical called
            > > "Micrography" which was a champion for avoiding duplication between vintage
            > > jazz reissues produced by the various labels in existence at the time. His
            > > perhaps best-known label was called "Gaps", indicating that the were designed
            > > to fill gaps in the reissue discography. Howard Rye can probably tell you
            > > more.
            >
            > Described by Dick as Dutch despite probably being produced by Ted Kaleveld
            > in Italy, so definitely one of his labels. Actually Laing and Sheridan's the
            > Small Labels gives Dick's address and the label they reproduce has no
            > copyright stamp so in this case the Italian connection may have been even
            > more nominal than usual.
            >
            > Evert Kaleveld, known to his anglophone acquaintance as Ted (similarly Dick
            > Bakker's forename was really Dirk or so he once told me), was (is?) a Dutch
            > businessman who lived in the Po Valley. Anything else I could say would be
            > merely hearsay and best left unsaid.
            >
            > These two are the only issues I can trace using the Divergent name. As to
            > date: before 1969 is the best I can do.
            >
            > Erik Bakker has threatened to produce a discographical monograph on his
            > father's labels. I must chase him about this!

            > howard@...
            > Tel/FAX: +44 20 8521 1098

            Mit der Gruppen-SMS von WEB.DE FreeMail k├Ânnen Sie eine SMS an alle
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 5, 2005
              on 5/8/05 11:27, Michael Rader at Rader.Michael@... wrote:

              > Speaking of Erik Bakker, what is he doing jazz-wise these days? I used to
              > subscribe to "Micrography" and bought regularly from Golden Age Records while
              > his father was alive and I think I bought several items related to the Beatles
              > from Erik for my sister. I have an inkling that "Names and Numbers" is still
              > in existence, but anything else?

              Names & Numbers is now produced by Stichting Names & Numbers: 20 euros for 4
              issues (25 euros outside Europea) to Gerard J. Hoogeveen, Reine Claudestraat
              15, 1326 JC Almere, Netherlands. This is an advert.

              Erik is still a fellow member of the editorial team but as far as I know is
              currently a sleeping partner and is devoting his time to his thriving
              printing business. I haven't seen him for 3 years or so. His Beatles period
              is over and all his current projects relate to more worthwhile music! He was
              the moving force behind reviving Names & Numbers.

              (Please don't anybody waste bandwidth by telling us how important the
              Beatles are. We know, we know. We've been told.)