9512Some copyright consideration

  • Andrew Taylor
    Nov 25 8:03 AM
      Hi all,
      Here's the US government on Fair Use:
      http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html
      Here's an article saying the same kind of things regarding images: http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/copyright-fair-use-and-how-it-works-for-online-images/

      I've been scanning some images from Rose & Souchon's awesome photo book New Orleans Jazz: A Family Album, and about the fact that you can't "piggy-back" on a copyright (I did a little research on that as it had been a while).

      I'm currently reading L. Gushee's Pioneers of Jazz: The Story of the Creole Band (2007), for which the author found and included a number of great old images from newspapers and the like.  Might reproduce one of the images he found if it feels like an okay thing to do.

      Use of out-of-copyright work reproduced in copyrighted work (my take):
      • Try and be fair
        i.e., if it doesn't feel like Fair Use, it ain't

      • Contact source creator
        "Dear Prof. [whoever] hope you don't mind that I want to use your work."
      • Just use a little - stay well under 10 percent of any one source or it's stealing

      • Attribution
        Say where you got it, what page and everything. The more info the better for everyone

      • Give a link to the source volume, protect the investment of the author

      • Find a way to say thanks, ("Rose & Souchon's awesome photo book New Orleans Jazz: A Family Album") - they did the work, I didn't

      Regards, Andrew

      --
      Andrew Taylor, MLS
      Associate Curator, Visual Resources

      On 11/24/2013 1:57 AM, alan.bond@... wrote:

      This is correct - anything out of copyright before 2013 remains out of copyright. The law only extends copyright on things which are already or still in copyright or have yet to be published. None of this would affect anything on RHJA.
      TTFN - 007