      From: Peter Reid <reid1947@...>
      To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 8:10
      Subject: Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Red Hot Jazz Archive down

      Patrice,
      Cloning is an option, and would it be "stealing" Scott's creation. Haven't you and others been trying
      for what seems like years to contact him, to no avail. Surely if he was worried about the RHJA he would
      have been in touch, one way or another, unless he is seriously incapacitated or worse.
      Peter

      On 11/23/2013 4:06 AM, Patrice Champarou wrote:

      ... and apparently down again today. This is very strange, neither the welcome page nor any of the pages which appear on Google can be accessed at the moment, but if I start a song from my local copy of the site (stored on my computer), it works. Meaning that the server itself – where all the audio files are stored – keeps working, and “serving” part of what Scott has put online. Since this is a completely static website (no php, no database, only plain, hardcoded links) I have no idea of what is happening, it *should* work, unless someone has been intendedly “breaking” the redirection from the URL to the server (supposed to keep working until December 2016... no idea who possibly renewed it !).

      Most people know that a bunch of us spent a lot of time, last year, trying to figure out some kind of “alternative” or “complementary” website – to little avail, because several technical and legal problems could not be solved.
      I think that the time has come to “open” the question to all subscribers of the RHJ group : What shall we do ? Now, and in the long run ?

      The options I am thinking of are the following :

      - giving up (so that sooner or later, there won’t be any RHJA left)
      - “cloning” the site as is, and serving it from another URL (easy, but that would mean “stealing” Scott’s creation, plus a huge amount of work to maintain/improve anything later on)
      - creating a different, modern structure from scratch, and gradually adding freshly redesigned pages (this would require a team, and a clear strategy)

      Any suggestions ?