9457Re: [RedHotJazz] The Cabin in the Cotton (1932)

    Apr 30, 2013
      When I was working on these or the discography in Marshall Royal¹s
      autobiography we reached the essential conclusion that it is almost
      impossible to recover personnels for these films. As Marshall pointed out,
      the band¹s presence on screen doesn¹t mean even that they are on the
      soundtrack, never mind with the same personnel, and when they are on the
      soundtrack they may be augmented by studio musicians.

      Klaus Stratemann didn¹t know about this one but in his ŒNegro Bands On Film¹
      (1981) he proposes for Taxi (dir Roy Del Ruth, 1932):
      George Orendorff, Harold Scott, James ŒKing¹ Porter, t; Luther ŒSonny¹
      Graven, Lawrence Brown, tb; Marshall Royal, Marvin Johnson, Charlie Jones,
      as/cl; Les Hite, as/bar; Henry Prince, Harvey Brooks, p; Bill Perkins, bj/g;
      Joe Bailey, sb; Lionel Hampton, d.

      However, this is essentially guess work in its application to any given
      performance.