      Von: Andrew Homzy [mailto:homzy@...]
      Gesendet: Dienstag, 28. September 2004 19:08
      An: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
      Betreff: Re: [RedHotJazz] NEW SONGS - J.C. Johnson and his Five Hot Sparks

      Dear Chris,

      Thanks for the info.

      I was on the mark with Higginbotham - he did leave out his trademark
      snake-shake.

      Who is cornetist/trumpeter Walter Bennett? This guy deserved wonderful
      career.

      Mabel Horsey on piano? What did J.C. do?

      Any other guesses about the clarinet, alto & banjo?

      * The clarinetist has the funky-ness of Dodds yet the control of Bigard.
      Omer Simeon?

      * The saxophonist is advanced beyond what Hawkins was doing at the time. He
      plays one chord wrong in his solo and seems to have the technique of a
      clarinetist. Almost like Bechet on alto - imagine that.

      * The banjoist plays whole-tone scales in his first break and demonstrates a
      blusey-ness that is rarely heard on the instrument. Bela Fleck?

      * The composition/arrangement is also quite sophisticated - some unusual
      harmonic twists here and there and very interesting orchestration in
      general. I can't imagine that they played this piece much - probably
      sight-reading it in the studio.

      * In some ways, the piece is like Arthur Schutt meets Jelly Roll Morton.

      Cheers,

      Andrew Homzy, Montreal

      From: Chris Smith <chris@...>
      Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 17:25:42 +0100
      To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
      > Any comments on personnel?

      Rust gives Walter Bennett, c[ornet]; J.C. Higginbotham, tb; unknown; cl;
      unknown, as; Mabel Horsey, p; unknown, bj.

      Chris Smith
      (chris@...)
      The Schoolhouse
      OUT SKERRIES