9390Re: [RedHotJazz] Cafe Capers - Mel Stizel

  • Mordechai Litzman
    Jan 7, 2013
      Dear Dan and Priscilla,

      Thanks for your positive comments. The drummer on the two recordings is American - Josh Duffee, who is just getting better and better.
      He usually plays with trumpet player Andy Schumm. Since you mention 78 sound, I could not resist this link to a  78 recorded in 2011 (why on 78?). Go to 1.09 min to skip spoken intro. Down in the Gallion by Andy Schumm's Flatland Gang:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iboYk7RFsKM
      980

      Anyhow, Andy
      Schumm and his orchestra also belong to the rare club of musicians who
      qualify for some truly authentic 20's style recordings. Here is another sample. (Any similarity to Bix is purely coincidental except that this recording was made in Davenport, Iowa, utilizing the Bix family piano, and Andy plays a cornet that belonged to Bix.) Clarinet Marmelade by Andy Schumm and his Gang:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm0nYlrP22w

      817