9366Fats Waller Project: NEW VINYL Release from Rivermont

  • Bryan Wright
    Dec 2, 2012
      Please forgive another shameless plug, but my Rivermont label has a
      brand-new vinyl LP release (also on CD) that I think may be of
      interest to RedHotJazz members. It's an album saluting Fats Waller and
      His Rhythm, played by a terrific young Chicago jazz group called the
      Fat Babies. I know I'm biased, but these guys *really* get it! They
      have that 1930s small group swing down. Most of the musicians are 78
      collectors themselves, and they use their intimate knowledge of that
      musical era to play authentically in the style of Fats Waller and His
      Rhythm without copying the original records note-for-note. Paul Asaro,
      noted stride pianist, led the session and really captures the humor of
      Fats's vocal delivery without imitating Fats. The rest of the band
      includes John Otto (reeds), Andy Schumm (cornet), Jake Sanders
      (guitar), Beau Sample (bass), and Alex Hall (guitar).

      Please stop by the Rivermont website and take look and a listen. The
      record is called "What a Heavenly Dream: The Fats Waller Rhythm
      Project" by Paul Asaro and The Fat Babies. It's available in crystal-
      clear vinyl or standard black vinyl -- and all vinyl orders include a
      complimentary copy of the CD as well.

      http://www.rivermontrecords.com

      We've also got new CD reissues of vintage recordings by Frank Westphal
      and His Orchestra and The Shannon Quartet as well, with terrific
      booklets by Mark Berresford (VJM) and Glenn Robison (Rapidly Rotating
      Records), respectively.

      Thank you for your purchases and encouragement that enable Rivermont
      to keep going!

      Thanks,
      Bryan W.
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic