9192Re: [RedHotJazz] Identification request A vintage Jazz band on a video

  • Bob Smith
    Jul 12, 2012
      Dear Tommersl,

      If you look at the clarinetist's mouthpiece on the video, you'll see that the screws holding the reed in place are on the top of the instrument.

      On all the photographs I've seen of Johnny Dodds he places the screws under the mouthpiece. This is not conclusive evidence, of course, but I think it points in the direction of it not being Dodds on the video.

      I'm no expert on reed instruments, but my impression is that most reed players place the screws under the mouthpiece.

      In fact, I've not been able to find a photo of a reed player who places the screws on top of the mouthpiece.

      Hope this helpd.

      Kind Regards

      Bob Smith