9180Re: [RedHotJazz] Ma Rainey on the Red Hot Jazz Archive

    Jun 20, 2012
      Blues and Gospel Records has a total of 98 sides, all under Ma Rainey’s name. This is one more than what is listed by Sandra Lieb, because she did not mention the unissued take of Bo-Weavil Blues. This one appears in Rust’s fourth edition, which apparently mentions 97, but specifies takes 1 and 2 of Grievin’ Hearted Blues on a single line. I will research what exactly the RHJ Archive missed some time or other, but if some 78’s ever happened to be unearthed in the future, I doubt they could be undocumented or unnoticed pre-1923 recordings, regarding to her popularity in press releases prior to any recording.

      Patrice

      From: ALAN BOND
      Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 6:32 PM
      To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [RedHotJazz] Ma Rainey on the Red Hot Jazz Archive

      Further to my last post, I have been unable to find any identifiable recordings by Ma Rainey other than under her own name. This is not to say that there are none. Her maiden name was Gertrude Pridgett and there may well be recordings of her using that name. She was certainly working as a vaudeville singer from as early as 1898-1900 and may possibly have recorded before 1923.
      TTFN - 007