9028Re: Elgar's Creole Orchestra - trumpet duet

  • Michael
    Feb 23 4:54 AM
      Since posting my last message on this topic, I've read what Barney Bigard has to say about Perez and Elgar and he states that Perez joined Elgar later than Bigard and that the recordings were from the previous year.

      I also discovered an article by Alan Barrel in "New Orlean Music" Vol. 1, No. 3 pp. 21-24 which Barrel started on the assumption that Perez was to be heard on the Elgars. But then he contacted Mike Hazeldine who read the interview of Elgar by Bill Russell now in the Tulane archives. In 1958 Elgar gave the personnel as Joe Sudler, Will Washington (tpts); Harry Swift (tbn); Darnell Howard (clt,sax,vn); Omer Simeon (sax, sic.!) a third unremembered reed player; Logan Thomas (pno); Bill Buford (bbs); Richard Curry (dms). The trumpet soloist is Joe Sudler.

      Michael Rader