8911Re: "Toots" Mendello and his Five Gee Gees

  • Albert
    Dec 2, 2011
      Mondello is a more common name than Mendello. Toots, the trumpet player, born in New Jersey, was certainly Mendello, not Mondello. You can see his name spelled Mendello on the record labels that I posted. Here is a link to one of them.

      http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i198/ahaim/mendelloeasy.jpg

      Of course, there was a Toots Mondello, a clarinet/alto sax player who was with Benny Goodman for a while in 1930-1940. This Toots Mondello was born in about 1910 in Boston, and could be the cousin of the Vinnie you mentioned who, I believe, also was from Boston.

      Albert