      From: David Brown <johnhaleysims@...>
      To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, 8 November 2011 4:44 PM
      Subject: RE: [RedHotJazz] Carmelo Jari with Jelly Roll Morton?

      Hello Michael

      I hear five different clarinets on these problematic 1930 Morton sides. I
      exclude obviously the session with Albert Nicholas.

      5 March. From Morton himself 'a white Victor house man' -- 'Eddie' -- who
      'tried hard but didn't have it in him to play good jazz'. The playing here
      certainly fits that description although I wonder if it is technically
      proficient enough to be a studio musician, even if the doubling on
      bass-clarinet adds weight to this theory. Interestingly, the player has a
      sound and phrasing at times reminiscent of Albert. Wilbur de Paris
      remembered the name as 'Ernie' and Rust came up with either or both Ernie
      Bullock and Eddie Scarpa. By the last sessions on which we hear him, Jari
      was a much better player than this.

      19 & 20 March. From 'Mr Jelly Roll' -- 'so eager was he to prove that his
      'little black dots' contained the essence of jazz that he brought in Nat
      Shilkret's sweet clarinet player for one recording date and, working from
      Jelly's arrangements, he played so much hot clarinet that ever since the
      fans have been arguing about who this mystery man was'.

      That would mean Andy Sannella, who appears on scores of rather anonymous
      sessions but an exposed example of whom I have been unable to find. Anybody
      ? The playing here, obviously from Morton's dots, which echo substantially
      the work of Simeon on earlier RHPs, would fit this description. This player
      does trill but without bounce. This is the session on which Addison
      identified 'Jajo' -- 'A Cuban Boy'. The photo linked below raises the
      possibility that Sannella could pass for Cuban and maybe Addison, not
      expecting a white this context, assumed him so to be.

      However, Sannella did also double bass clarinet and could therefore be a
      possible for the 3 March session although we would then have to try and
      rationalise Morton's apparently contradictory views of his ability.

      2 June. Despite Rust placing Scarpa here, I hear only two reeds. There are
      few clarinet parts and those are very poor and suggest saxophonists
      doubling. Northing here either good enough for Jari. Rust reinstates the
      Bros Thomas, who were definitely present, from photographic evidence, on the
      sessions with Baquet of nearly a year earlier.This must be open to some

      9 October. Clarinet here only chalumeau, possibly to disguise his
      ineptitude, and so very difficult to identify. But certainly a technically
      less than fluent player. The nearest parallel in sound is Bigard.

      Conclusion, no Jari and I see no reason to doubt the firm evidence of his