      From: Patrice Champarou <patrice.champarou@...>
      To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, October 29, 2011 5:27 PM
      Subject: Re: [RedHotJazz] Accessibility on the Red Hot Jazz Archive

      -----Message d'origine-----
      From: J. E. Knox
      Sent: Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:46 PM
      To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com

      [...]
      > For some time now, I have been unable to access any track on RHJ. The
      > files are RealPlayer ".ra" files, which properly launch Real Player
      > when double-clicked, but RP then reports "A general error has
      > occurred." and it's game-over. I don't know whether this is a fault
      > of Real Player or the site. Trying to download, for example, the
      > following link --
      > <http://www.redhotjazz.com/Songs/Oliver/Creole/canal.ra>
      > -- returns a file "canal.ra.ram" (Real Audio Metafile). Does not open
      > in Real Player (same error).

      This seems to be indeed a problem related to Macs, or Mac software (either
      Realplayer or the browser you are using), or your individual settings, worth
      discussing on a Mac forum.
      The link you have just mentioned works perfectly on my Windows system, from
      both I.E. and Firefox, and even from my mailer.

      If we except the short periods of time when the server happened to be
      completely down, not accessing *any* sound file cannot be related to the
      website's current problem.
      Bob and I have started investigating valid and faulty links two different
      ways, the matching results indicate that the percentage of lost sounds is
      impressive indeed, but the valid ones are valid on a regular basis, they do
      not come and go, and whatever Bob found valid is also, and exacly so far,
      what I managed to save in my local copy of Scott's website.

      I have no idea how a request for .../canal.ra can possibly turn into
      .../canal.ra.ram !
      The reverse - I mean from the .ram metafile to the actual .ra soundfile -
      would be a bit more logical, but definitely not .ram popping up in the
      address after you've directly called the .ra file!
      If the problem is exactly as described, it might mean that Mac versions of
      the player absolutely request a .ram file to work... just a guess. Please
      note that directly requesting the .ra file is no longer "streaming", but

      P.S. The poor sound quality does not depend on the .ra or .mp3 alternative
      (both have dramatically improved in twelve years' time) but on the
      compression rate.
      64bit mp3's would have sounded just as terrible at the time, and the idea
      was to enable nearly instant access when almost everyone was on a slow
      connection.
      With the advantage that realaudio allows one to keep listening after leaving
      the page, and prevents from inadventantly playing several tunes at the same
      time.